Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

should i over clock more????

megagamer44

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the chips to ever come out lately, the minor increments in overclocking an i7 series seem to be most beneficial in an exponential sense almost entirely because of the number of cores. (except for Blacky's and the price vs. unlockable 4th core benefit, but for sheer power, i's rule, leaving AMD in the dust)
This is based on plenty of building, research, and discussions with my friends at Fry's.

You've already blown far past the stock speed of the 950, and that puppy screams at stock 3.06 on a Sabretooth X58 MB- wish I didn't have to sell that one, but I could never afford it how it was ordered.

Your temps seem fine, and if you have a stable power supply, and as P95 is showing room for more OC, I would suggest you do go as high as you can with it.

Though the chip is around $300, there is little need to be "safe";
There is, and you can quote me on this, barely any chance you will override the safety mechanism that kills the processor before it fries*.

*This is assuming you didn't use some kind of "spread" method for your Arctic Silver, and all your other ducks are in line. i.e. power regulation, dust control, and heat spike control.
Side note, I've been building for around 5 years, and love the new i processors. They may even break my addiction to AMD Blacky's.

Lastly, this advice is based on respect for computing bottlenecks. I'll just assume you know so, but just a disclaimer so others can reference the term/concept.

Seriously, don't get me started on "spread" method.

Good luck, bro

@Kirkland
I have had great success in overclocking the i series processors. The heat issue is far less than previous intel installments as shown above with his 30°C buffer after overclocking to 3.36 and has plenty of room before he hits the critical 90-102°C mark.
Was wondering what your experiences have been so far with overclocking the i series processors that differs.