Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

DayZ Alpha Testing Thread

=VG= SemlerPDX

We have been testing the ALPHA Mod for Arma 2: Combined Operations called DayZ. Best way to describe it is as a nearly stand alone game. In DayZ, you will start your "life" on the coastline of Chernarus. You will have barely anything to live on, as the Zombie Apocolypse has been underway for some time. Other humans will kill you for your limited supplies or just for crazy sport. Best to get away from said coastline and start to survive inland.

When you exit the game, or server, everything you have on you is saved, as is your position on the map. If you were to say, join another server (there are more than 8 now), you will load in and find yourself in the same spot on the map, with the same gear in your pack and on your person.

In fact, if it's been quite a long time since your last login, say a day or two, you will find yourself very hungry and thirsty (never dead). Yes, you have to consume food and drink in this game. The medical system is also highly advanced. Bandages, Pain Killer Pills, Morphine, Epipens, and Blood Packs populate the world. Weapons and equipment are hard to find, particularly highly powerful items such as military style rifles and gear. After 2 days, and over 6km of travel on foot, I risked my neck to search the military airfield and found me an AKM with 3 mags. I treasure it, as I do my 1911 Colt .45 because the only weapon you begin with is a poor revolver only suited for headshots.

This game is NOT about killing zombies, or players!!! This is about survival!! Longest human to survive yet lasted 25 hours...how long can you survive?

Click Here to see Leaderboards

Again, this is an ALPHA. Not even to the Beta stage, and updates/patches happen on a daily basis. It can be quite frustrating, especially if you have become hooked on this amazing RPG as Solarflame, Poffadder, Tortiaboy and I have.

Problems include a host of frustrating events, such as being stuck at a loading screen, or worse. I personally had lost a lot of blood, was passing out every minute or so, and had to make my way to a larger city to find medical supplies. A zombie spawned in front of me in what seemed like a vacant town at the time. He heard me, and killed me. I had played for 2 days, had a lot of time invested in my character and had even found THE MOST RARE item in the game, Night Vision Goggles!!!

I was upset to no end, and when I began life with a new character, I decided to run to the spot of my other characters death, and then the server crashed. Sure, everything saves - except the dead bodies with loot and flys buzzing around their rotting corpse. Those only stay as long as the server stays up.

Play at your own risk - but it IS worth all or any headaches. They update DAILY! You will patch your mod manually on a daily basis, sometimes more than once per day. Then wait for the servers to come back up, and hope the new patch didn't mess things up. Still, I cannot convey how much this is worth it. You will learn to navigate by stars at night, and shadows by day. You will learn about the priorities of survival, and the penalties of impatience and foolish errands that will plague the end of days.

Only for the strong, the patient, the willing...

Official DayZ Website and Game Description
Click Here for the Entire Set of the Current Version (pre-assembled for ease of use):Download
Click Here for Just the Files Individually(for incremental updating):Download
A Basic Map of Chernarus - You will start lost and alone with no map!

"It is not so simply the strongest who survive, but those who are the most adaptive to change."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome mod, really awesome, but it needs some objective system like claf man, i mean you can have fun for some days (or at least is my situation), regrouping with VG and moving as a good team through the map taking stuff and making the group stronger, but in the end, after some towns, after going from "here" to "there" you dont really know what to do, it needs objectives like "recon this town" or "save this group of AI survivers and move them here"...

lupago =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Awesome mod, really awesome, but it needs some objective system like claf man, i mean you can have fun for some days (or at least is my situation), regrouping with VG and moving as a good team through the map taking stuff and making the group stronger, but in the end, after some towns, after going from "here" to "there" you dont really know what to do, it needs objectives like "recon this town" or "save this group of AI survivers and move them here"...

i have only seen a few videos and played arma2 and i can add 1 +1 and so i cant wait to get OA to be able to join the server :)
about those missions, i think they could be made semi-random... almost like in "Dead Rising2".
also maybe it would be great to have some crafting in the game, to be able to get selfmade weapons. i think about the lawnmower from the movie "braindead".
thats it for now, got to go ;)

lupago =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Awesome mod, really awesome, but it needs some objective system like claf man..... ... but in the end, after some towns, after going from "here" to "there" you dont really know what to do, it needs objectives like "recon this town" or "save this group of AI survivers and move them here"...

I think you are missing the draw and the point of this mod. You started the game on the coastline with 2 day survivors talking you through an inland path to us. You never had to scrounge for days at the start just to get food, and items you will need to survive. You were just directed to us, seasoned players, and therefore to you survival is not anything difficult - rest assured, it is. You are alive because you were with us, and clearly you think this is pretty easy. I had to struggle, to orient myself for nearly a day using NO Compass, with no one talking me through my routes.

You say you need objectives. Why can you not give them to yourself, or accept the ones we as a group have? "Recon this Town" - hell, we do that on every town we come to!!! Don't rely on "pinball popups" to tell you where to go and that you did a good job and completed a task.

You know you completed it when you and your friends stay alive, walking out of the town with more items you need than when you came to the town. A player can set up a tent (hide them well!, remember where you put it!!) and start to build a cache of food, drink, medical supplies, ammunition and guns.

This is the ultimate survivalist RPG inside the Arma 2 game. There is only one main objective - stay alive.

This is truly a survival simulator, if that doesn't appeal to you, check out Insurgency or CLAfghan - they are much faster paced with less of a "patience demanding" gaming session.

I pretty much literally started with nothing due to a glitch, so all I had was a pistol, a couple of rounds and a bandaid, and I now I have all the requirements to live forever, and I feel I ALMOST managed that myself...I did have a few tips from Semler and Solar though...

• 1 month later...
We found a helo crash site today while playing DayZ. To bad it was bugged and we could not loot it.

The helo's mini gun had a muzzle flash thing goin' on so maybe that was an indicator that it did not initialize properly.

FYI it is said that the best weapons can be found in these birds.

This pic was taken near Devil's Castle.

Crawl to the hosptial and get some morhpine. !training

Solving survival problems is kinda kewl. !neo

Or you could just ... !suicide

And watch out for those !ninja

BTW we are up near Devils' Castle but I think lazlo is near White Mtn. enjoying a cup of tea. !coffee

But if all else fails just !help and we shall rescue you. !mental derpa, derp.

Successful raid today. We managed to sweep two areas.

We had seen one player but he DC'd immediately. The chicken. I tried to suppress him not knowing that he had already left. The result was the zombies used me as thier midnight snack and dropped my health to 7k. But we completed the raid and before disconnecting for the evening we did a blood transfusion. So I am now 100%. If anyone is near a hospital please bring some fresh blood bags and morphine up north.

Special Loot discovered:
-m1014 + tons of ammo.
-2x AKM's 0x Ammo
-1x M16 0x Ammo
-1x M14 + Ammo (I am now equiped with some FIREPOWAAH!) Dropped my MP5.
-1x G17 + M9 and G17 ammo
-1x map
plus the misc drops. Surprisingly, food was pretty scarce.

Castor,
myself and Dave are closer to your AO. We have been playing between 0600-1100 GMT.

Murder or Terremer,
we have 2x mags of STANAG ammo for you. You guys can fight over them. !NHLfight

Dante, you need to catch up!

Everyone else,
Move north and link up when you can.

==============================================

Stuff we need brought up from the southern areas.
Blood bags. 1 each per active player.
Morphine. 2 each per active player.
DMR ammo.

Stuff if you have room. (Low priority.)
Tents.
STANAG ammo.
AKM ammo.
AK ammo.
Pain pills.
m1911 ammo.
M9/G17 or other double stack 9mm ammo. It is all interchangable. ;p
Toolbox
GPS
NVG

Alright, just tell me when you're on + the timezone also I will have like 8 mags of Stagnag so I can spare like 4 of them, last time I was on server was empty and I got the whole airfield to raid alone, unfortunately I became too obsessed to check all compounds and ended up having 50+ zombies behind me, I killed them all (WOW) while running backwards !lol