Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

ArmA 2 =VG= Domination: Changes, Additions, and Ideas

=VG= SemlerPDX

Poffadder, Savage, Tortia, kiwirambob, Jarema, dman, Iffn, and myself (and others) have been discussing and working on improvements for the VG Domination map. In order to get everyone on the same page, here are the ideas we've had, including some that may never be possible and those that simply need scripting.

Please keep this post productive and on subject.

We've taken the stance of not detracting from the current realism level, unless it's a matter of maintaining playability. A key debate on this subject is the Chinook's and their lifting ability. They have a ~14 ton lift capacity and Bradleys and other heavy armor start weighing in at ~27 tons. Of course, we can make the video game defy this, but...
Jarema has an excellent point on this: "Since when are we trying to run a realism server?"

The other side of the debate is: "Whenever possible, lets work around realism limitations with playability additions"

We have a plan to add a FOB like area near Rasman airbase (or somewhere in the North half of the map) where some side mission bonus armored vehicles can be made to appear as they are unlocked, and a few of each unliftable armor type will begin stationed there at the start of the game near a jump flag.

On the argument of Jump Flags; though these are completely unrealistic, removing them would detract from playability too much. On the other hand, when the server has 20-30 players, removing these would add to the cooperation and teamwork playability of the map.

We have a plan to add a few changes that will allow jump flags or any such ability we choose, to be dependant on the current number of players in the server. It could be variable. This is also an example of one of our ideas that may not pan out, but is worth brainstorming.

Current ideas in no order, some already implemented:
-UAV with Remote Station and "admin unlockable" or Squad Role based ability to launch it's Guided Missiles
-Chinook: Lift ability for all but MLRS, Bradley, and Abrams
-Chinook can load ammo boxes
-Attack Helicopters have emergency supply box (ammo crate with minimal supplies; field dressing, colored smoke, etc)
-Harrier with GBU's
-T-90 for use by BLUFOR (in small town SE of main base, by howitzers)
-Backpacks Added
-Many Attack Air Assets can be scripted to begin locked; admin can unlock
-ACRE!!! We can and should add ACRE (without ACE) and use it in standard Domination alongside those who do not. It will add an additional level of playability for those with it and encourage others to join us on TeamSpeak.
-TS3 Domination Channel Page should show header with active link to our Server Rules page on the site
-Personalized custom loadouts for registered members by request
-Ghille Suits for Snipers

More lofty, and iffy, long term ideas:
-AC-130 Spooky (preferably fully manable; Pilot, Co-Pilot, 2 Separate Gunners)
-Longbow Apache's can LAZ
-SOAR Passengers can aim and shoot Primary weapon while flying
-2 Side Missions at any given time; One similar to current Side Missions, Another more geared to Spec Ops Infantry style Side Missions
-Completely new and different Side Missions to replace all old Side Missions
-New Bonus Vehicle Unlocks with a different Unlock Message (i.e. "High Command has Issued Your Platoon a (vehicle type). Use it well!")
-Apache with Aim-9 Sidewinder Missiles and the ability to pull Stinger Launcher out of landed Apache and use remaining AA missiles as it's ammo (as per real life procedure)
-Special Armor unlocks at Northern FOB Vehicle Spawn
-Examine and modify Main AO objectives to add fresh new challenges
-Air Traffic Control Space and Pattern subtly drawn on Map
-Customized Notes, Controls, and Mission Description Additions/Modifications under in-game Map Page
-More vehicle varients i.e. A-10 with no GBU's and more Mavericks, etc.

Those of us actively scripting, modifying, or discussing changes to this Domination mission we are working on, post it here and keep change logs of all additions you have made so far. It will be best in the end if we have one scripting person compiling everything, and it looks like Poffadder has volunteered to step up to the plate. All final scripts should to go through him, and we will need to test on a regular basis. We will need to limit how often we upload a map revision to the server, so testing must be thorough, obviously.

For those hoping to get some personalized custom loadouts, get them ready and PM SavageCDN. We should, once final testing is finished on this custom loadout option for our server, offer it to the public via a more easy to follow public post with instructions, as well as announcements on other ArmA 2 fan sites. We could update the server weekly, or perhaps a few times a month.

Poffadder (or Savage), if you could, post a change log here after you submit the first map to BLuDKLoT for upload to the server. !cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... According to loadout manuals i have found for the apache:

General characteristics

Crew: 2 (pilot, and co-pilot/gunner)
Length: 58.17 ft (17.73 m) (with both rotors turning)
Rotor diameter: 48 ft 0 in (14.63 m)
Height: 12.7 ft (3.87 m)
Disc area: 1,809.5 ft? (168.11 m?)
Empty weight: 11,387 lb (5,165 kg)
Loaded weight: 17,650 lb (8,000 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 23,000 lb (10,433 kg)
Powerplant: 2 ? General Electric T700-GE-701 and later upgraded to T700-GE-701C (1990?present) & T700-GE-701D (AH-64D block III) turboshafts, -701: 1,690 shp, -701C: 1,890 shp, -701D: 2,000 shp (-701: 1,260 kW, -701C: 1,490 kW, -701D: 1,490 kW) each
Fuselage length: 49 ft 5 in (15.06 m)
Rotor systems: 4 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor in non-orthogonal alignment

Performance

Never exceed speed: 197 knots (227 mph, 365 km/h)
Maximum speed: 158 knots (182 mph, 293 km/h)
Cruise speed: 143 knots (165 mph, 265 km/h)
Range: 257 nmi (295 mi, 476 km) with Longbow radar mast
Combat radius: 260 nmi (300 mi, 480 km)
Ferry range: 1,024 nmi (1,180 mi, 1,900 km)
Service ceiling: 21,000 ft (6,400 m) minimum loaded
Rate of climb: 2,500 ft/min (12.7 m/s)
Disc loading: 9.80 lb/ft? (47.9 kg/m?)
Power/mass: 0.18 hp/lb (0.31 kW/kg)

Armament

Guns: 1? 30 ? 113 mm (1.18 ? 4.45 in) M230 Chain Gun with 1,200 rounds
Hardpoints: Four pylon stations on the stub wings. Longbows also have a station on each wingtip for an AIM-92 ATAS twin missile pack.
Rockets: Hydra 70 air-to-ground rockets
Missiles: Typically AGM-114 Hellfire variants; AIM-92 Stinger may also be carried.

Avionics

Lockheed Martin / Northrop Grumman AN/APG-78 Longbow fire-control radar (Note: can only be mounted on the AH-64D)

Notice, it doesnt carry an AIM-9M Sidewinder as you stated semler, it can carry whats called a AIM-92 ATAS (Air-to-Air Stinger) which, according to SERE manuals/training given to all pilots of the armed forces, the Apache(Longbow Varient[AH-64D]) has the unique ability to remove the AIM-92 from the Apache and if you have a FIM-92 launcher, it CAN be loaded into the launcher for use as a SAM (Surface-to-Air Missile). While i could only find a couple recorded events of this happening, it is possible :) therefore Realistic goal for the server. :)

Also, i will take a look and try to map out ATC Space, What would be a good Tower Range? the map isnt that big, so i was thinking 1k-3k somewhere in there. Do we want the FAC positions to have pre-designated zones or just have ATC Space for Rasman, and the Main Base?

----

Oh, and if we implement ACRE will we designate air support to be on a specific frequency AND be on TS? cause ive seen a lot of issues with CAS just bombing the AO even with BLUFOR Inf. in the AO, and its hard to get them to just talk with people and work together xD I have no problem with people doing CAS, but its prefered that they dont drop on AO or side mission with out being asked to by a FAC or Inf on the ground... at least in a populated server...

OK so as of Sunday evening here's what we have done so far (note this all needs to be tested on the dedicated server with at least 4-5 players);

-Harrier with GBU's
-Backpacks Added to ammo crates at main
-UAV terminal at main (still some issues to be worked out)

-Large FOB south of Zavarak that includes armor, repair facilities, and a mobile respawn vehicle
-Small strong point North of Sakhee with ammo crates, MASH, and motorcycles

@Torts - yes that will be difficult - Arma considers the SOAR passenger to be mounted in the vehicle so it may be a limitation of Arma we cannot work around

Anything else I missed??

Oops I misses the big wookie in the room! As far as I can tell the Ghillie suit is not an object but just comes with the 'sniper' player class... so I think that is an easy fix... we just replace one of the player classes with a sniper!

Testing was successful today. No glaring problems, just a few things to finalize before we give the map to BLuD for upload.

Found Issues need resolution before final upload:
-Southwest fort has a few movement snags on rooftop perimeter walking from pallet bridges to roof top edges - if not fixable, it's fine.
-Need Sniper Roles to all have the Ghille Suit
-Need LAV-25 to be Liftable via CH-47
-Can we add the Flip-Vehicle script on this version?
-Parameters must be set to our agreed upon defaults (the post about it)
-Include last minute custom kits (see savage)
-Do we have a designated spot to load ammo boxes into the CH-47?
-Final Backpack additions - currently the small Assault Pack? Keep them empty.
-UAV Station - either fix the bug that makes it crash land, add a respawn at main script, or remove it and include in next version upload (remember, our goal is to limit version uploads to once every 2-4 weeks)
-Can we get ACRE running now?
-Will we be allowing ammo for the Javelin and/or NLAW?
-All transport helis to have ammo box loading/unloading. Is this possible yet, if not, next version.
-2nd CH-47 Chinook w/lift ability
-Please customize map name to read VG Domination v2.60 for version tracking
-SERVER SIDE: Can we remove all maps and missions we will not be currently offering from the server map list? (see PITN?)

I would like to get RCON ready for this server as well. As I work from home mostly, I can admin the server without being in it through RCON. I have it set up to run on my PC, but will need to have an "RCON password" set for the server. We need to have the banlist filled out with all of PITN's bans from the insurgency server, not sure if this needs to be done manually.

In the interest of coordinating, PM me any time (even if I'm offline!!) if you need clarification on anything, say if one of the mod group is offline and you need to know this or that, I talk to all of you and try to keep up with the big picture. Especially just before a final upload to the server!
(my dumbass "smart phone" beeps when I get a PM, I'll get back to you on this matter asap)

I have the current edited version of Domination at the moment - if you want to make changes please speak to me first.

Completed items in RED

Current idea in no order, some already implemented:

-UAV with Remote Station and "admin unlockable" or Squad Role based ability to launch it's Guided Missiles

-Attack Helicopters have emergency supply box (ammo crate with minimal supplies; field dressing, colored smoke, etc)

-Harrier with GBU's
-Backpacks Added - US Patrol and Assault Packs

-Many Attack Air Assets can be scripted to begin locked; admin can unlock
-ACRE!!! We can and should add ACRE (without ACE) and use it in standard Domination alongside those who do not. It will add an additional level of playability for those with it and encourage others to join us on TeamSpeak.
-TS3 Domination Channel Page should show header with active link to our Server Rules page on the site

-Personalized custom loadouts for registered members by request

SavageCDN
SemlerPDX
TortillaBoy
Poffadder
Raven800
NTF_Spears
Raptor902
Beast
Ingo

-Ghille Suits for Snipers - changed class from Marksman to Sniper (Alpha and Charlie) due to threats from Beast
-Southwest fort has a few movement snags on rooftop perimeter walking from pallet bridges to roof top edges - if not fixable, it's fine.

-Need LAV-25 to be Liftable via CH-47
-Can we add the Flip-Vehicle script on this version? (see Fireball)

-Parameters must be set to our agreed upon defaults (see me/dman, or the post about it)

-Do we have a designated spot to load ammo boxes into the CH-47?
-UAV Station - either fix the bug that makes it crash land, add a respawn at main script, or remove it and include in next version upload (remember, our goal is to limit version uploads to once every 2-4 weeks)
-Can we get ACRE running now? (see BLuDKLoT/PITN/dman)
-Will we be allowing ammo for the Javelin and/or NLAW? Need to add ammo if yes, remove launcher if no.
I noticed there is Javelin ammo in the big vehicle weapons ammo crates.. was this just added?
-All transport helis to have ammo box loading/unloading. Is this possible yet, if not, next version.
-2nd CH-47 Chinook w/lift ability

-Please customize map name to read VG Domination v2.6 for version tracking

[EDIT: Semler Change Version Number on Final to v2.6]

We can easily install ACRE on this server. Here are the most recent server keys for ACRE 1.3.11.456:

keys.rar

Here are the default parameters to set for the server. The "Kick Players for shooting at base" and "Kick for base satchel" are set to NO only because they do not funtion in the game anyway - the satchel disappears if placed and the kick doesn't happen. It just spams the screen with white messages saying it will now kick the player. Very distracting.

We don't need it....can't shoot at main anyway, bullets stop short after firing near main flag.

Main Targets:________________Random 21
Time of day:_________________05:00
Initial View Distance:__________1500m
Maximum View Distance:_______5000m
View Distance changable:_______Yes
With ACRE:___________________YES
Mission Type:_________________Default Mission Type
Teleport or spawn at MHQ:______Yes
Enable teleport to base:________Yes
Fast time (1 sec ~ 1 minute):____No
HALO at base wait time:________0 Minutes
HALO jump type:______________New
Lock armored enemy vecs:______No
Lock enemy cars:______________No
Lock enemy air vecs:___________No
Illumination main target:_______No
Repair buildings can repair:_____Yes
No parachute jump flags:_______No
Parachute from base:__________Yes

Only pilots can fly:____________No
Ammobox handling:___________New
MHQ vec creation time:________5 Minutes[/color]

Air vecs autokick time:________0 Minutes/No Kick*
HALO jump height:____________2000m
With Backpack:_______________Yes
Weapons limited:_____________No
Ranked:_____________________No
Skill Enemy:__________________Normal
With isle defense:_____________Yes
Base sabotage:________________No
Enemy recaptures targets:______No
Armor at main targets:_________Normal
Enemy arty spotters at mt:______Yes
ArtiOp. max. strike dist:________Infinite
Artillery reload time:___________5 secs
Artillery avail. after:___________120 secs
Arty check friendlies:___________Yes

Enable Chopper HUD:___________Yes
Enable vehicle HUD:____________Yes
Vehicle welcome msg:__________Yes
Disable show player names:______No
Internal weather system:________Yes
With winter weather:___________No
Override BIS Effects:____________Yes
Dirt and blood effects:__________On
Block spacebar scanning:________No
Max. # ammo boxes:____________20
Delete wrecks after:____________NEVER
Grass:________________________Yes
Player can disable grass:_________Yes
Recruit AI (max.):_______________8
Player marker:_________________Off
Disable player markers:__________No
Player marker with dir:__________No
Vehicle marker with dir:_________No
Marker type:___________________mil_dot

Enable TeamStatusDialog:________Yes
Airdrop radius:_________________Exact position
Airdrop max. dist:______________Infinite
Vec reload, engine off:__________Yes
Vec reload, time factor:__________4
With MG nest:__________________Yes
Revive max respawns:___________1000
Respawn button after:___________30 secs
Revive time limit:_______________1200 secs
Revive # of heals:_______________10
Negative TK points:_____________30
Salvage cargo capacity:__________16
AI observers arty avail time:______240 secs
Max # TKs for kick:______________3
Kick players shooting at base:_____No kick
Kick for base satchel:____________No
No 3rd person:__________________No

(Air vecs autokick time - No Kick*) *If we are able to get remote lock/unlock ability to admins or however

ACRE Testing was a complete success. We will be adding ACRE to this version of Domination.
Players wishing to use ACRE will need the most recent version of TeamSpeak3 as well as the most recent version of ACRE (above) and will need the @CBA mod as well. If you've played/installed ACE before, chances are you already have this.

Will make a post regarding these procedures and requirements prior to final mission upload to server.

Current CBA Version Download 0.7.6 Link

MHQ vec creation time:________1 Minute "Lower so wait is not as long if die or vehicle is loss
Air vecs autokick time:________10 Minutes
HALO jump height:____________2000m
With Backpack:_______________Yes
Weapons limited:_____________No
Ranked:_____________________No
Skill Enemy:__________________High High or Normal? Most seem to like Normal more.
With isle defense:_____________Yes
Base sabotage:________________No
Enemy recaptures targets:______No
Armor at main targets:_________Normal
Enemy arty spotters at mt:______Yes
ArtiOp. max. strike dist:________Infinite
Artillery reload time:___________20 secs Set to 5 secs so you can better group fire mission.
Artillery avail. after:___________300 secs Lower to 120 secs so squad lead doesn't have long wait too.

Delete wrecks after:____________60 minutes Set never so people must salvage the wreck.

Changes that should be considered.

Also how exactly will ACRE being enabled affect those who do not and will not use it?

=VG= Jarema LAN_WROTE ...

Also how exactly will ACRE being enabled affect those who do not and will not use it?

It will only affect you in terms of the comms you hear.
If you have 3 people in TS, and 2 of them have ACRE.
The 2 people with ACRE will only be able to hear each other when on the same radio freq.
The third person without ACRE will hear both parties whenever they speak, and will be able to talk to both parties at any time too.

So the real drawback of not using ACRE will be that TS comms is likely to get very confusing, as you will potentially have several people all talking over the top of each other, and all referring to different things.

Unless it is specifically disabled on the server, in-game voice comms will function as normal.

I really would advise giving ACRE a try, it does add to the gameplay and make comms more organised. Just the ability to have a different freq input to each ear alone is fantastic.

Must-have editor for Arma files:

http://sites.google.com/site/macsarmatools/squint

For future reference:

Making Map Objects Indesctructible

add a gameLogic and set it to "objects" and put this in it's init field
tower = (position this nearestobject 123256); tower allowDamage false;
The id number of the building was 123256

this might not work for multiplayer (allowDamage false - need to use EventHandler for MP??)... also different syntax for multiple objects instead of a line per object

Mount on APC - see attached .rar

"Suite of scripts that allows up to 4 players to ride on the top of an APC. From there they can stand, crouch, turn around, shoot reload and disembark"

- perhaps this will work with LB and SOAR?

ontop2.utes.rar

(From Semler) Here's the cars into C-130 template as well:
attachto template 3 - Put car in C-130

[EDIT: Semler added link at bottom]

@jarema, i believe this line:

Delete wrecks after:____________60 minutes Set never so people must salvage the wreck.

shouldnt be set to never because it refers to the rocks and rubble created by a crash, therefore, if someone wrecks on the runway/taxiway if set to never it will be there permenantly...

=VG= Raptor902 LAN_WROTE ...

@jarema, i believe this line:

shouldnt be set to never because it refers to the rocks and rubble created by a crash, therefore, if someone wrecks on the runway/taxiway if set to never it will be there permenantly...

Raptor, or someone, Please test and confirm this. I was under the impression that the brown rubble left from crashes was on a separate time factor for despawn. Let's find out.

Start up a game(private test server), set wreck delete to something very low (10min) and blow a bunch of crap up. Monitor the results when it despawns and post them here.
EDIT: Vehicle Wreck Time Parameter does not refer to the rocks and rubble created by a crash. This is on a separate time factor. We will be setting this to "never delete wrecks" Wrecks are side mission unlocked bonus vehicles only, not all spawning vehicles.

I spent an hour working on the mission today. I've added the ACRE radios to the PMC and BAF ammo crates. I also gave the CH-47 the ability to lift the LAV-25.

Some things in the mission got broken some how so I will be on all day tomorrow to fix, add and test stuff.

We talked briefly about that today Blud and from what was said I believe the privileges will be given to Savage as long as he is willing to accept. He seems to have pretty good availability and responsibility (as long as he doesn't clear the ban list again) Joking Savage !secret.

The new edit will be very nice and everyone involved has done beyond a good job. !victory

... jarema, i believe blud already talked with savage....

Anyways, todays test, for the time i was on, was fun, from what i was hearing from other people there are only a few other minor bugs to be fixed, like the service pads, but other that it is almost there...

LOVING IT.

-Raptor