Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Issues? Questions? Tips for 4.33.1?

=VG= SemlerPDX

So, after Semler's last post it got awfully quiet around here so I thought I should have a look what is going on. Everything went smooth until later that day, when the server was starting to lag and ultimately hung up. It was about one week into the war so who knows how long the server had been up at this point. I did some more flights after that and the only issue I encountered was a tanker "jumping" to a certain airspeed when clearing me for contact.

Few days ago, Cobalt jinxed it by pointing out that many problems still persist. I saw the odd AI behaviors again: rolling, warping, runway slalom, FML. I must have been very lucky...?

Came back yesterday (day 6) for quiet a long flight and again had no issues at all. The air war is pretty much won and the 5 Hornet squadrons more than make up for China and Russia bringing in a lot of Flankers (haven't seen a single one yet). Ground forces on the other hand seem to include a few Chinese units already and more modern Russian equipment (T-80s, 2S6) can also be expected.
Did take just a few shots of the refueling to show the stable AI. Excuse the lack of FSAA, I like FPS. http://imgur.com/a/0CtvC

My love hate relationship with BMS continues ;)

Server has reached a record up-time! It has been stable for days, and is still working - the Campaign is going into Day 11, BLUFOR have pushed the FLOT on the North East Coast and Pyongyang is the next big target.

I need input from regular pilots and newer pilots to determine if this is still as playable as it looks - it would be great to see a Campaign actually finish successfully for once, but we don't want the server to become impossible to play if there are no worthy missions for pilots. I'd also like to know how the difficulty setting is working out for everyone (vets and nuggets alike).

Please advise as able, and enjoy the advanced campaign now in it's 11th day!!
!hi

only issue that I got is that the fuel bags and the 120Cs run out from Seosan. Been having issue with the laser guided bombs not hitting there target not like in 4.32. I learned how to use the MSL Step with the mavericks, thats alot of fun. other then that server is running great, im so happy that I can connect again, being out for awhile was making me go nuts lol

I did have a question, is it alright for me to make my own tanker flight out of the 909th? I know thats where the server player sits and I know not to touch that flight, was just wondering with not being able to reach out as far with out a tanker on day 9-11 was wondering if it was alright to set up tanker for the extra long flights

Semler I can tell you from just a quick flight today that the Chinese slash CIS (whatever the hell that acronym is) and their SU-30s and 27's along with the influx of top-of-the-line MBTs like the T-90s have been giving me plenty to do. The west side of the island looks pretty dead but the majority of the action is centered on the East side.

I will agree with Minrah that we do appear to be running into some shortages of stores but I don't see that as an issue - that's just good realism.

I have noticed no AI spinning or weird maneuvers throughout any of my flights on the server.

Minrah LAN_WROTE ...

I did have a question, is it alright for me to make my own tanker flight out of the 909th? I know thats where the server player sits and I know not to touch that flight, was just wondering with not being able to reach out as far with out a tanker on day 9-11 was wondering if it was alright to set up tanker for the extra long flights

Yes, please do! It is okay to task AI flights to support you, even Tankers! You could set up a mostly AI flight and attach yourself to it, so long as you know what you're doing - feel free! Whatever you'd like to do to add to your enjoyment!

Only problem would be with someone playing "Commander" and fragging tons of AI flights that have nothing to do with Human flights - but supporting flights SHOULD be fragged to help you in your missions!

As far as stores running out, it can be said that in real life, this would be an issue. IRL, this is happening right now in the Air War over Syria - the US has blown through a large stockpile of missiles and now must limit their engagements until resupply is possible. Isn't it true that an AGM-65G is a multi-million dollar weapon? In the spirit of Simulation in this Campaign, let's just see how it plays out until such time as it is unplayable (or concluded).

Have fun - fly safe!
!cp

- The most common problem with LGBs in 4.33 is not setting the laser to combat. This can be done on your UFC in List - 0 Misc - 5 Laser. Select "trng" and hit any number key to switch to "cmbt". It will flash for a few seconds but the laser should be operational immediately.
- On the same page you can set the laser frequency, which has to match up with whatever you set in the loadout screen. Both should be set to 1688 by default if you want to check that.
- After release make sure the TGP is not masked (INR). It's based on pre-set view angles, rather than actually something being in the way. It can be deceiving.
- When releasing towards the middle of the launch bracket ("less than max range", CAS for example) the GBU has to make a larger course correction and the default 8 second auto lasing might be to late. Try 12 - 15 seconds or manually lase more than 8 seconds before impact.

It's the People's Liberation Army (PLA) ;)
Both Russian and Chinese ground troops are notably harder than the junk DPRK is working with. Especially Tunguskas can ruin your day as they use optical guidance, making all countermeasures ineffective. T-80 and whatever-Chinese-MBT will also pose a bigger thread to own groundforces. Quiet a nice change.
The air war on the other hand has pretty much died. Yesterday, a 8+ ship AI package bombed the smoldering remains of one of the most northern airbases, ensuring none of the 40+ SU-27s will ever make a difference...lol. AI HQ has been very busy creating OCA strikes and by now there are probably less than 15 enemy planes able to do anything.

In a chat I already mentioned something should be done to spice up the air war. Last time the AI was changed, Osan and Seosan got murdered. In this case Kunsan is one of the nicest airports to fly more CAP out of.
Maybe this isn't so bad. From day 2 on we have been pretty much on the offensive. Having to defend would be something different. You still want to gain air superiority by OCA but it's going to be harder. A coordinated human package might be able to do some work.
Just food for though.

Minrah LAN_WROTE ...

Been having issue with the laser guided bombs not hitting there target not like in 4.32.

I have also been having LGB failures for quite a while now (originally it was ok in 433). The laser simply does not fire. I suspect my attempt to activate manual lasing in the keyfile has somehow messed it up (i only just this moment thought of that possibility).

Last mission my a.i wingman was doing the up down power settings thing.

Thank you to everyone who flies with us, and special thanks to those who help keep the server running smooth by reporting issues and crashes!

We continue to have problems with pilots running a 2nd Campaign on our server - this is not something our server can handle. You may fly in Tactical Engagements (TE) or Dogfights on our server, but do not run another Campaign along side the one we are hosting. I have done most everything I can to reach out to pilots who violate this rule, but often I find a Password on the 2nd Campaign adding insult to injury.

Please respect our server - if your name is on this list, please understand that we need you to stop. You may join our Online Campaign - Do Not start a Campaign on our server!

If anyone knows these guys, or can get a message to them - have them read this thread:
Rage
Blitz
TritonDB
Blaze
Knubinator

Hi Guys. I have been getting the Kevin Pending Message since December when the 1024 BW requirement was put on the server. Around the same time the port forwarding requirement was put on. I am thus not sure which of these restrictions is causing my problem. I've set the BW at 1024. My internet connection is pretty slow (although worked fine in 4.32), so this may be the problem that BMS tries to test the speed and cant reach 1024 upload to the server and I get Kevin Pending Message. Or maybe my ports are not correctly forwarded.

Could my slow internet and the 1024 BW be my problem?

How can I check that my ports are correctly forwarded?

The message you are getting now is due to the Dubious Connections check. It could mean that your router has NAT filtering that is interfering, or other factors. First step in troubleshooting that would be to go into the router/modem configuration and set the IP of your computer into a DMZ, then try to join the server - if it works, and I imagine it will - you will know that your PC can join if the router gets configured properly.

If you do this, make sure you take your PC's IP out of the DMZ after this test as it is a glaring security hole and should ONLY be used for testing purposes.

If you can connect that way, but no other way, you may be able to enlist the help of your internet service provider if you have no success forwarding your ports.

If you can successfully connect when your PC is in the DMZ, a way to know if ports were forwarded correctly would be a similar connection success when the PC is not in the DMZ.

Slow internet is not the problem here, it's a firewall or packet scheduling, or something to do with your router/modem. Ports will need to be forwarded, but every router/modem does things a little differently and I doubt I can give specific instructions for one I've never used before.

Your internet service provider will likely have a troubleshooting department that could help you for free over the phone to get the service you desire from the internet you pay for.
!hi

SemlerPDX =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Server has been updated with the following changes:

-Client Bandwidth Requirement raised to 1024 BW

-Server will now only accept P2P connections, if you can no longer connect, read about port forwarding for Falcon BMS here: http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/Hosting-Falcon-4-BMS.html (and here is a link about routers and forwarding: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm )

-Server will now enforce Same Tile Set and Same Aircraft Data

zohrs LAN_WROTE ...

How can I check that my ports are correctly forwarded?

im sure you have them open, I had the same issue, the thing I found out was that there was a update for my modem/router if you have AT&T you're going to have to call them and ask them to update your router. and when they do and the update doesnt go through give it a few hours and then do a factory restart on your router, you're going to have to redo your ports and reconnect your devices but it should update the firmware on your router.

1. check ports

2. put ur IP in DMZ

3. restart your router to factory default

4. call your ISP(internet service provider) to update your router if #3 doesnt work

I've never seen a campaign run this long without issues. I have not even had to restart it to an auto-save point since Day 3.
I hear there are still playable missions, so we'll keep going.
We're at Day 17 now, Pyongyang is still a target, but the main force is pushing up the East coast. I captured this JSTARS Replay of the action:

I had to restart the server this morning to the latest auto-save from day 17. Possibly due to that campaign that was running. I didn't get Cobalt's message until 8 hours later as I was out of town with family.

I will be in TS3 but if I don't reply I may be afk - just poke me.

Had a look at the current campaign state in MC. As suspected there is barely anything left to do. Airpower was negligible almost right for the start, combat ground forces have been wiped by A10s (3000+ a2g kills) and most installations by now are bombed beyond repair.
On the 'plus side' DPRK managed to sink the Carl Vinson .. little too late.

I suggest restarting to day 1. Maybe it will help fill the server again.

Almost all installations 230miles around Seosan have been destroyed, A10s cleared the FLOT of all enemy vehicles, no active SAM left, lack of bandits and most of them grounded anyways.

If one can activate autopilot for 90% of the time and not even pay attention, I don't think it's any more interesting then striking Kotar with a single AAA battalion defending it.

You may have gotten lucky, but I have a partially built 1/35 scale Humvee on my desk just to pass the time whenever I fly on the server these days.

• 2 weeks later...