Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Issues? Questions? Tips for 4.33.1?

=VG= SemlerPDX

Minrah LAN_WROTE ...

so Brain and I found out why im not able to connect, im on a connection running at 20mb down and 1mb up. so with the bandwidth set 1024 im guessing im no longer able to join =/

My memory of a BW topic on a falcon forum predates 433 and maybe 432 I do not remember. My memory of the topic/discussion where help/info was being given by a dev (or at least someone who understood the subject) is that the purpose of the BW setting (then and maybe not now) was not to indicate an upload speed from the client but to set a MAXIMUM acceptable speed of data coming from the server to that client so that buffers or whatever on the falcon client would not be swamped. If this is still the actual case then its not what we are currently chasing. Someone such as Minrah would easily meet actual requirements.
Could the meaning of the BW really have done a complete reversal or was what I read back then just wrong (and unchallenged by anyone incidentally).

Today I am getting the Kevin pending messege despite having successful flights 24hrs ago and prior to that.

CobaltUK LAN_WROTE ...

Has the `dubious connection` check been turned on yet ? Would be interesting to see if there were any change in the issues.

Been that way for weeks - only P2P connections allowed. It's a few pages back in this thread. Why the hell you would start getting the Kevin message is beyond me and breaks all of my understanding of what we've been doing so far. Two steps forward, three steps back?! Ugh.......
!hang

yeah I made sure that I had my ports opened with the correct internal IP address Brain and I tested our connection while he hosted and i connected just fine though he did change a settings and I got the same Kevin message, i was really excited to join back up again after fixing all my issues with my motherboard and CPU, =( things happen

Bandwidth, Dubious Connections, Upload/Download speeds. Ya need a PHD in networking to figure all of this out.

According to the BMS Manual, Brain meets the minimum specs, and should be able to set his ?cap? at 1024, even though his network may only reach 960. That?s if you use the Upload speed calculation method from the manual, which seems to be written as a guide more for MP hosts of a handful of friends. The VG server hosting a continuous campaign for a constant flow of clients creates a different situation. For that, you can read threads in BMS such as this one???. http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=4830743
In particular is post #61 that says client download speed is more important, whereas upload speed is more important for the Host. I?m not sure we?ve tested enough yet to determine if these issues are client, host, campaign setting, or even network flow, so I wouldn?t give up yet Brain. I can see how the second campaigns can cause major issues for the server host and support measures to prevent this.

I have recently watched youtube postings of a squadron who does weekly BMS flights with 12 clients on, and they seem to be working OK. Surely someone at BMS would be interested in helping an organization like Veterans Gaming so I?m hopefully Semler will find that in his contacts. Seems that for now, continued testing, trial and error may be needed. Perhaps there are some simple solutions such as altering to lower/higher BW settings, campaign settings, or server settings. We may ultimately find that the higher demand of this 4.33 upgrade will require more than we think. (anyone keeping a copy of 4.32 handy? ? lol)

Keep digging Semler, and good luck.

What exactly is going on here?! Nothing has changed in the last few days AT ALL..... no way difficulty settings can do this. No config changes have occurred in over a week! I seriously have no idea what to do here, and tomorrow/saturday is Christmas and I will be busy.

A quote from the bms forums

"UP speed for client is not as much as important than for the host side. What is very important for the client side is the DOWN speed and with bms 4.33 in campaign mode, the clients need to set at least bw 1024 just to be sure to have enough DOWN speed to receive every mp packets sent by the host and by the other clients "

This ties in exactly with what I wrote a few posts above. Namely that the BW relates to what the client is willing to DOWNLOAD from the host. That being my perception I will next try 2048 which I certainly can not actually provide as an upload but which I can as download rate.

Okay - I vacuumed and dusted my PC room so I could take off the covers and fire up my PC and try to join the server - I got the "Kevin" message, too!!

Logged in to the remote and looked at the server, looks fine, in 3D pit, BUT - upon closer inspection, it doesn't respond to any keypresses, and it's CPU usage is flat 00.

I've restarted the computer that runs the server, and I've restarted the BMS Campagin - let's try this again.

BAM! !wiz I'm in the server as a client, no "Kevin Pending" message - so, the server had crashed in a way that it looked like it was running (I will be watching for this type of crash in my many daily health checks from now on).

So, if you wanna fly, give it a try. We might have been chasing our tails for nothing here. Fun fun.

...and Merry Christmas!
!cheers

Logged in fine and joined in flight mission out of seosan since some hq flights already tasked. Wingman rolling.

Ive a new theory about this. I think we know there is specific code that controls how the A.I formate and generally move around. I believe this code was altered and enhanced for 433. Would not be the 1st example of specific areas of code being corrupted whilst main programme continues as normal. So maybe there is some corruption and only a re install of bms from verified installer files will fix this A.I behaviour. Just a theory.

When the A.I are released from the `formate` code by being given the check six or rtb command etc they fly normally again. This code controls them on the ground as well as in the air.

ok guys something VERY weird is going on. I called my ISP and i asked them to update my routers firmware, they said it was current and that it needed no update. I look on the forums and found an update but at&t routers will not update on client side (to my knowledge) . So either AT&T is giving me Bull $%@# or I can breath in space....

second now this is going to blow your socks off, I restarted my router to factory default and I can connect WITHOUT port forwarding please someone tell me how that is being done O_o

SemlerPDX =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Okay - I vacuumed and dusted my PC room so I could take off the covers and fire up my PC and try to join the server - I got the "Kevin" message, too!!

Logged in to the remote and looked at the server, looks fine, in 3D pit, BUT - upon closer inspection, it doesn't respond to any keypresses, and it's CPU usage is flat 00.

I've restarted the computer that runs the server, and I've restarted the BMS Campagin - let's try this again.

BAM! !wiz I'm in the server as a client, no "Kevin Pending" message - so, the server had crashed in a way that it looked like it was running (I will be watching for this type of crash in my many daily health checks from now on).

So, if you wanna fly, give it a try. We might have been chasing our tails for nothing here. Fun fun.

...and Merry Christmas!
!cheers

Wait so nothing was wrong with my connection?

There WAS something wrong with your connection. The factory reset may have wiped the update as well and that's what got updated. Anyways, it works, don't touch it. Remember how I didn't trust that router? ;)

BMS Manual, Bandwidth
The value is used to help manage network traffic on your connection to avoid flooding, while keeping the throughput as high as practical. As a general rule of thumb, enter the upload speed of your connection minus 10-25% in kilobits. For example, if your tested upload capacity is 1000 kilobits per second then you would enter 750 in this box. Try to maintain a minimum of 500.

That matches up with my experience when we had issues with 'invisible' objects.

Figure that out. It's itching everywhere already and the cougar summons me. ;)

I got a chance to fly yesterday and I gotta say, I was impressed. Server seemed to run okay, but I didn't see any other aircraft close enough to see if they were spinning or doing crazy things. I'm so out of practice, I just spent the day on DEAD strikes on the SA-2 sites to the North, and one thing I found out quickly - they sure don't seem to want to launch at me... ?!?! Recon showed them as active and near 100% operational. Not sure what's up with that, but I'll admit I've not trained on the HTS and my one HARM mission hit the airbase's Radar and not the Fan Song or whatever the SA-2's were guided by. I made several subsequent passes trying to find the Fan Song, found 2 vehicles that looked similar to and in the same spot as the pre-flight Recon, but every single Maverick I launched would only lock on the 'left' truck and not the one on the right, and they never hit either... I am trained with the Mavericks, had several successful missions throughout the day, just not when I tried to attack the 2 "trucks" in the middle of the airbase.

Still not sure if it was user error, but I had such successes otherwise, I'm left scratching my head (like so many failed CCRP runs that seemed perfect, I know some of you know the feeling!)

I also had the opportunity to intervene in a private campaign run on our server. Language barrier was a problem, he didn't know much English but I was able to get him to close his private server and join the VETERANS-GAMING server. Problem was he started texting up simple questions, meaning he didn't know how to Frag a flight, nor did he know which airbase to fly out of (and we all know the server puts up Kadena and the 909th air refuel wing to new joiners). Told him to google and to YouTube, hopefully he'll educate himself.

After getting some time in the server, and seeing how 'well' things are running now, I've finally set up AutoSave on a 2 hour interval, and all crashes will now be restarted to the latest AutoSave file. It will take about 3 minutes each time, and I need that time to launch the server - if you are present during the restart procedure, please do not launch your flight before the server does, or I will be stuck waiting at a real-time countdown clock of over 5 minutes (if I launch alone, it will fast-time). Once in the cockpit, I will text up (even if no one is online) that the 'Server Restarted to latest AutoSave' and those with the comms window open will see this, and then can launch their flight(s).

Good luck and fly safe!
!cp

!st onto the restarted server just now but the A.I issue was too much. Also missiles flying crazy paths no doubt same issue. If there were some way to monitor data flow from server to look for glitches in the feed.
No doubt it will straighten out as it usually does :)

Re joined a couple of hours later and no issues. Again solo