Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

@Khronik, Help, SOS, I'M SOL

RAM22

Man, I was trying to get this network card working so I could MP and I totally porked something up.

So bad that I can't get any shut down Services running. Can't do a System Restore, hell, I can't even Paste a file from one folder to another.

I'm wondering if Visual Studio.NET 2003 has caused an issue somehow.

HELP...................... !help

Brian

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had installed a driver from Dell as it is a dell system(probably the first mistake, lol), that did not get the network card to work so I just left it as I didn't need to get on the net at the time.

Then a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to get it fixed to MP here with the DUDES, I uninstalled that driver and go the driver again off the net and installed it. No-go, then Windows came up with a warning that recommended I not use that driver so I uninstalled it again.

That's when I started getting all these services shutting down. I can't get any of them started now. I can't even do a Restore, windows says Restore cannot help my system to reboot and select restore again, I did that and it just says the same thing.

I'm sure I can do a System Recovey but I would loose 120GB's of Falcon development and I have no way to back it up.

I'm F*CKED, lol

Brian

OK can you try rebooting into Safe Mode (Windows XP right?), go into device manager and right-click - remove or uninstall the network card, then reboot and disable it in the PC BIOS (if possible.. sometimes Dell boards don't give you that option). Restart again and let it boot up.

If that doesn't work you might need to do a Windows repair - you will need the original CD or Dell restore disk to do this. To be sure you don't lose any data you will need to back up your drive first to a USB thingy or by removing it and installing into another PC.

Also check the logs under Computer Management, System Tools, Event Viewer, System log and see if there are any red X error messages relating to networking and post them here

eeewww...gross man!!

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

Ok so your syslog says your hard drive has a bad block which is probably what is causing the file copying issues. Your onboard NIC is probably dead as well as there are lots of networking-related errors in there. If you have stuff on that PC you want to keep I would remove the drive and put it in another PC to back it up or stick it in a USB enclosure that you can then connect to another PC and copy files, etc (if you have one that is).

Edit; actually that system is fucked.. I see IDE port errors, other motherboard-related errors so it could be that the mobo is toast which would cause your NIC problems and potentially the drive errors as well. Backup your stuff ASAP!!

I don't think the Mobo is toast as I can fly FF and BMS with no issues. And I can do other stuff like run Visual Studio 2003 in debug mode for Falcon.

I know what you are saying tho, something is really buggered. The issue with backing up is about 10 fold. I only have a 1GB thumb drive, I can't transfer network wise as it won't allow me to setup one and the killer, I don't have other drives that could accommodate all that data.

I could try to add another drive and make it the master as I have a couple other smaller drives with windows on them, the problem is I would loose the function of stuff like Adobe PS, VS, Microsoft Office XP and all that because of the new drive and registry cross over.

I don't know, I think I'm F*RKED.

Brian

It's only probably 2ys old. I hate Dell but it is actually the best system of 5 that are here in the house. FF and BMS run like lightning on it.

Its a Dell Inspiron531
AMD Athlon 2.8Ghz Dual Core
3GB RAM
WinXP32

I just disabled the NIC in Bios and will see if I can make any headway. If not, I may try adding another drive as a last resort before throwing it out the window. !cmdo

Brian