Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Hardware failure?

dman248

Hey guys having a little problem and hopefully some of you tech guys know this one.

Every time I exit a game / in game my fps drops to 5 and its super laggy. Games wont load (they load but super slow) after this and i have to reset computer to get rid of it.

Wondering if its my video card or something else.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We need as much info as possible, full system specs, make and model of everything, motherboard, memory, cpu, graphics card, motherboard, harddisks.

Hardware Monitor will show all temps and voltages accross your system as well as fan speeds. This would be a good place to start checking for overheating, undervolatges indicating possible hardware failure. Run it after you boot up windows, then play a game, it will record high and low values.

CPU-Z Will tell you cpu / memery specs make and model numbers, post them here.

Run a defrag on your hard-disks, and also check the disks for errors. do you have more than 1 ?

Open task manager, how many processes are running after starting windows ?

I'm sure the other guys will have more questions.

...pretty sure there is some throttling involved before any shutdown would kick in.

Not sure if I am reading first post correctly - do you mean that when you Exit a Game to Desktop and when you go back to the game it's FPS is crap?

Or just this: Start PC, Start Game, Exit Game Fully, Start another game = Game FPS is Crap

-Will be good to know OS and it's type (e.g. Win7 32-bit)

Try Monitoring Performance during this process:
Open Task Manager, click Processes - note the number at the bottom left, total # of processes.
Now Click Performance, note the RAM Usage and CPU Usage, and leave it open (minimize it if you want).
Now start up a video game, play it for a minute or two and note the FPS. Exit the game fully - now go back to Task Manager and check that your CPU and RAM usage has gone back to baseline - note any parts of the graph where it may have "maxed" out.

HDD Info:
What is your HDD configuration? If more than one, state size, speed, approx. age of each. What is max capacity/current free space? Are there any new noises coming from your PC case on a Cold Startup? If you have Windows 7, a defrag may not be necessary - Win7 is the best OS I've used to date, and I've read that it needs defrag far less than any older WinOS.

*On heat - open the case, clear all the dust if you haven't already from fans, filters, etc. Careful with Compressed Air directly on fan blades - hold them still with your hand, they can spin too fast and break from air speed.

**EVEN BEFORE NEW INFO: I am just about to "reset" my PC, as in, backup all data and reinstall Win7. I expect everything to run as well as it did when I first built this thing. If we do not discover a specific software/hardware issue, consider this kind of "factory" reset. It helps to have a second hard drive for backup, though.

!coffee

EDIT: "throttling" is correct word, not "stepping" -sem

referring to both - and not to correct or seem smarter than anyone, but it very well could be overheating because he is having performance issues relating to gameplay that formerly had higher frames per second than now.
It very well could be a result of dynamic fequency scaling in order to prevent overheating.

No worries, dman - with so many people here who've either ran PC Fixit businesses themselves, or simply years of experience, you can bet the direct cause and solution will be found.

!cheers