Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

[poll] Network F*****G me off BIG TIME.

=VG= Murderface0151

okay.. so it has now reached boiling point.

im sick to death of my network constantly losing internet connectivity... making my head veins explode tbh.

it always does it, intermittently throughout the day it'll randomly lose connectivity. making it impossible to play any kind of online game for any decent period of time.

phoned up the internet service provider and they said everything is fine on their end (think they're full of shit to be honest). i'm well within range of the network giver outer thingy. it's one of those stupid apple iPorts, which i think could also be one of the problems.

has anyone ever had anything like this before? and if so, how did you resolve it? pleaseeee someone just fix it for me lol, its giving me some right stick and i'm 2 steps away from drop kicking the lot into the fireplace on full burn.

Murder.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule #1: The ISP always says it's OK on their end.

It could be a number of possible things that is causing the problem, which makes it extra fun to figure out..lol

step#1: rule out the iPort as the culprit. The easiest way to do this is to swap in another router (non-Apple) and test.

step#2: I assume you are also using a wireless network in the house.. if the iPort has a wired port for connections you should try plugging in your PC directly (ie: not wireless) to rule out the wireless part of things such as interference with some other device.

If you do those things and you still get random disconnects.. then you can call back the ISP and say that you've switched routers and gone from wireless to wired and the problem is still happening.

my ISP is probably the worst in NZ...and i get stuck with em -__-

as for connection type i have no idea.. what's the difference and what's the calling cards of each? lol.

one other thing, if i'm casually surfing on my browser, the network seems to function a bit better and consistant, but as soon as i join a server on OA, then BAM, almost instant "No message recieved for xx"

When you are browsing you are using 'bursts' of internet rather than when you are gaming (steady stream of data)... if you can I would try plugging your PC into the iPort directly (if it has a port that is) to eliminate the wireless connection as the possible problem.

I'd recommend updating drivers, since my wireless adapter basically doesnt work unless i install the latest ones..but you said youve been using it for three years so im not sure thats the problem.

And yeah, plugging into either the router directly or the modem is a good test to see if its your adapters or the internet itself. if it doesnt work straight out of the modem, something is wrong with either your ethernet adapter or the ISP

What they said. Direct connect, not wireless for PC gaming due to the constant stream of packets. Modems are now on a DOCSYS3 standard - perhaps you have a DOCSYS2 modem, and aren't experiencing the modern technology available. If you do get a router, don't cheap out. This is your life line to the game - for around $75US, routers start to get decent.

Make sure all your ports are in line, look up UPnP settings, and google about it. Perhaps your modem can be adjusted to allow game traffic through better.

Let's get a list and model numbers of the devices you have for starters, and find out the rated internet speeds you are paying for from your ISP. Dial-up is old, slow, and you definetly don't have that. DSL and ADSL go through the phone line as well, but the difference is night and day. ADSL is acceptable for online gaming, as is a cable internet connection which comes in through a coaxial cable line (like cable TV). If you also have cable TV, the actual cable most likely splits to the modem and cable box respectively.

The absolute worst, most inconsistant connection is Satellite. Everything from weather to sunspots can cause problems with PC gaming when the stream of packets are interrupted for too long.

Most of these options have their own speed levels based on pricing brackets - for about $50/month, cable ISP's offer 6-8MBit connections. I pay extra for the 11th or 12th bracket my cable company offers - 22MBit for a choking price of $90/month. But I also had them hook me up with a Aris Modem (DOCSYS3) and a good router, and had a good technician set me up for internet gaming. We even tested it while he was there. Well worth it, as this is one of my only 2 major hobbies, and camping is nearly free.

Let's get that list of model numbers of your parts, including your PC (specifically the MotherBoard and manufacturer)
Most are on little stickers somewhere....happy hunting!

Click here to test your internet speed. Test locally first, then test your connection to, say, London, where many servers are located

right on Semler. there is a big difference during the day (a lot quicker, and a lot more stable than in the night)

as for the shit im using, i couldnt really find any prominent product info on the iPort, this is all i got. Model Number A1143

Modem - D-Link ADSL2+ Router DSL-502T Generation II

Mobo - Gigabyte MA770-US3 (kinda dated now)

thanks Semler

=VG= SemlerPDX LAN_WROTE ...

[...]
Most of these options have their own speed levels based on pricing brackets - for about $50/month, cable ISP's offer 6-8MBit connections. I pay extra for the 11th or 12th bracket my cable company offers - 22MBit for a choking price of $90/month. But I also had them hook me up with a Aris Modem (DOCSYS3) and a good router, and had a good technician set me up for internet gaming. We even tested it while he was there. Well worth it, as this is one of my only 2 major hobbies, and camping is nearly free.
[...]

your ISPs must be fooling you :O
we get 16 to 32 Mbit for 39 euro each month, including a telephone flatrate, router, everything set up by a technichian.

I have a huge package with them, including a phone line for the fax, but it has free nationwide long distance, and of course, the HD Cable TV with dual DVR's makes the bundle deal a bit more than $90.
$90 is the price without the bundle deal.

Here's a local test:

Apparently, only 7% of the US have a connection with these speeds on the residential level, but I game all freakin day sometimes, so it's way worth it for me. Plus I web-cam/video phone with my family across country which is priceless.
(researching your parts now, among other things, murder... !drag will get back to you)

any luck semmy wemmy? i explored the full network map and Vista is saying the problem is between my modem and the ISP. if it is... ima be bustin in there with a shotgun down their throat lol.

i used the MSN troubleshooting thing (for what it's worth) and when the network is down it says the DNS is f***ed and "Key ports" if that's any help.

Yea. I'd say the killer for your speed is your net connection, combined with the distances you are trying to connect to (across the Pacific, then across the US, then across the Atlantic).

Here's some info about your router. Not the best in the modem world, but probably isn't the problem.
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=228

ADLS may just not cut it for the way we use the internet for gaming over such distance. Maybe we should try to see if you can connect to Arma if I host a mission from West US.