Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

BSOD's and CPU Failure

=VG= SemlerPDX

I've been troubleshooting the frequent blue screen's of death I've been getting, and thought I was onto something when I disconnected a few unused internal parts from the power supply, and unplugged other items on the same ciruit. Later that day, I began pushing it again; connected the powered 2.1 speakers w/subwoofer, and tried to run my ATI w/ it's overclock enabled.

Later that day, I began to get the BSOD's again. I shut it down for the day.
BSOD ID is Kernal_Power; Event 41; Type 2; System shut down (don't have any other details anymore)

This morning, I hit the power button, and first screen says:
"CPU Failure. System will now shut down in 5 seconds to prevent damage"

I opened her up, and found nothing physically wrong, aside from a thin layer of fine dust on everything.
Any suggestions or experiences similar may be helpful.

The oldest components are (same age) the MB/CPU and RAM. All other parts were new in box this past spring.
System Specs are under my xfire (click box below).

Will be AFK till I get this fixed, no more pushing this beast. Will check back here on my laptop often.
!cheers

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have not used Windbg to analyze the dump file I would be willing to look at it for you. I used to analyze dump files daily in my last job. You can drop me an email at bill underscore norcross at hotmail dot com and I will send you an email back with a ftp site address to send the dump file.

Lamb2

I'd have to fire her back up again to get that info. That "CPU Failure" thing was a bit startling, but I'm sure I could try to get a boot past it, but...Is that really advisable?

I'll blow out all the dust and crap, and give it another go if it's advisable. Was thinking I may need to replace the CPU and MB; they are cheap now but I have little money right now...

Can't yank the OS drive and examine externally....it's in RAID.

Thanks for the help!

I'd try and disconnect anything that's not needed for a boot, load up bios and disable anything none essential.
Let it run for awhile and keep an eye on voltages and temp.
If it crashes then I'd say either the mobo or cpu has bit the bullet.
But if it does not crash just idling in bios try and boot and start testing memory and harddrives, then the pci slot holders.
Trying a different PSU can also be an idea.