Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Back to Basics (=VG= Hawg Training)

Bones

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iffn LAN_WROTE ...

6:30am for me...

I might try it if I know someone's flying.

On what should I focus my training on? Laser guided bombs, quick Maverick attacks, data link...

Right now Iffn I am more concerned that everyone is comfortable in the pit and can start it up, configure the three radios (UHF FM, VHF FM, and VHF AM) for (JTAC, ATC, AWACS, GUARD, TANKER) to include transmitting and receiving JTAC 9-Line coords for proper persecution of targets, Navigate WPs, programing the CDU, setting your weapons parameters/profiles in the DSMS and HUD (to include CCIP, CCRP, different Gun reticules), and general use of the TGP and SOI, last but not least Landing. !shok

If you are a Rockstar and can do all the things listed above then we should have a pretty good time! If not then we will start with the very basics. !grin

Griff LAN_WROTE ...

Sorry....didn't see this post until 11:20 PM PST......I'm off Wednesday and Thursday if anyone will be around to fly.

No worries Griff, I will not be able to fly tonight but I should be good to go this Thursday. Last night it was only Chaz, PITN, and myself. We bombed the snot out of an SA-11 site and then proceeded to level an enemy base.

My son's first birthday over this last Memorial Weekend and a B-17 ride :) made for a busy week and very little gaming. This week I should be on Wed Thurs and Friday. Maybe Saturday. STILL waiting for the next patch from ED.....

• 3 weeks later...
On tonight thru Friday night after 9pm or so Pacific time. I know that's late night east coast/early morning for our European brothers. I'm up usually til midnight.

Patch 1.1.0.9 preliminary change log: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1230436#post1230436

Iffn LAN_WROTE ...

Would it be possible to do a mid-air refueling training mission?

There isn't a tutorial in DCS A-10c and I guess it would get some attention if we record it and put it on YouTube.

Dragon's Training Pack http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68802 includes the ability to practice air-to-air refueling. It involves engine start up, takeoff and flying about 50 miles to intercept a tanker.

Reading the manual does wonders as well. (Pages 488-490) !grin

Aerial Refueling (Quick Flow)

For combat missions in particular, you may have an aerial refueling requirement. Although the A-10 can carry up to three TK600 external fuel tanks, these tanks are not combat-survivable and are never used on combat missions. The A-10C is equipped with a nose-mounted refueling receptacle that is fed from a boom-equipped tanker.

Preparation

When nearing the tanker location, you will want to place the flight in Echelon formation.

1. Radio contact tanker and inform of intent for refueling.

2. At least one engine must be operating at 85% RPM.

3. Safe the aircraft from AHCP:
- Master Arm switch to SAFE
- GUN/PAC switch to SAFE
- LASER switch to SAFE

4. Safe aircraft from DSMS:
- Set Maverick EO power to OFF

5. Set up your Fuel System panel:
- If you have a leak in any of the four internal fuel tanks, you should pull out the Fill Disable button for that tank. This will prevent the damaged fuel tank from being filled.
- Tank Gate switch to the closed position.

6. Open the refueling receptacle slipway. Upon doing so, the READY light will illuminate.

7. Fly the formation to the pre-contact position:
- Wingman 2 takes observational position off flight lead wing (On Deck position).
- Second element takes observational position right of the On Deck position.
- Refueling order is FL < 2 < 3 < 4

Pre-Contact

Upon reaching the pre-contact position 1 nm behind the tanker in trail, you need to stabilize your position and establish a zero rate of closure on the tanker:

1. Check you have sufficient fuel to complete process.

2. Set IFF to Standby (STBY)

3. Set CMSP to Standby (STBY)

4. If at night or foul weather, enable the exterior lights from the Exterior Lighting Dial.

5. If you cannot establish pre-contact, you must break away or risk an overrun.

6. Request contact from tanker.

7. If given permission, move forward and follow directions of the boom operator. Close to the tanker at 2-3 knots until reaching the contact position. Align the boom with the center longitudinal axis of the aircraft. Make constant reference between the boom and the tanker fuselage and avoid chasing the boom.

Contact

1. Once established in the contact position, the boom operator will fly the boom into the receptacle.

2. Once boom contact is made, confirm the LATCHED light on the canopy bow is illuminated. The READY light should extinguish.

3. Once both you and the tanker acknowledge contact, the refueling will start.

4. For successive contacts, you must cycle the aerial refuel system by pressing the refuel/reset button (Nosewheel Steering button) or closing and opening the slipway door.

Disconnect

1. When the tanks are full, line pressure will automatically disconnect refueling. When this happens, the DISCONNECT light will illuminate. To manually disconnect, you can also press the nosewheel steering button on the control stick.

2. Close the receptacle slipway door.

3. Decrease power and drop back and down behind the tanker.

4. Once you have pulled out of the contact position, you will establish yourself off the left wing of the tanker.

Following your departure from the contact position, number 2 will move into the contact position and number 3 will move into the On Deck position. This pattern will continue until all aircraft are refueled. As each aircraft is refueled, they will reform with you off the tanker?s left wing.

---------------------------
Will try and knock out "training video" sometime in the next week. Maybe......