Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

suggestion

DonChris

Heya =VG=

Clearly the newest update to stand alone brings a lot of new players to PR.
So, obiously there is a lot of change happening to the game experience of the "older" players, who are used to an specific and very strict gameplay.
I seriously dont want to blame new players, they are highly welcome, but stepping up to the Veterans Gaming Level of GamePlay isnt that easy and some players stepping into trouble cause they are used to an totally different kind of gameplay experience. So happens that there is a lot of Asset wasting and behavior far away from TeamPlay.
Also happens that there is "beginner" or "train" squads, wich in my opinion, are not welcome to the VG COOP, cause the VG comunity is based on experience and TeamPlay across all squads.
This is what keeps VG COOP alive and makes all the fun and exciting gameplay.

The point what this post is about is as following:

Players that are new and kind of "screw up" usually get the advice to read the manual. The manual says that the COOP is for training purpose !

Maybe =VG= could expand the Server Message showing in the upper left screen to make clear that this ist not a train server, as i understand that VG COOP isnt a train server.

Suggestion:

" THIS IS NOT A TRAINING SERVER ! TAKE YOUR JOB SERIOUSLY AND STICK TO THE RULES ! "

I dont think it will take much effort to update the server message, and it might help to reduce some of thoose uncomfortable incidents, where players get banned and trying to get unbanned after realizing that Veterans Gaming is a serious comunity.

So that doesnt count for players that just want to ruin the game for the server. Thoose "players" should be banned to moon !!! !fuku

Thx 4 ur time, Love&Hugs
Don

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually thinking about that, due the amount of trolls that we're having. Would it be difficult to put "I have read the rules and will play to the best of my ability" clause in the loading screen.?
I'm not sure what else we can do but just have our Admin keep patrolling and enforcing the rules to the best of their abilities. We have more admin's on TS which is awesome. And the self governance that you the players are doing helps us admin's out tremendously. Some admins don't get a chance to see the reports but when we pop in you let us know what's going on and that helps us to govern the servers accordingly.
I do like the brainstorming that has started about ways to keep the trolls off the servers and the dedicated players interruption of play minimal.

Feel free to poke the shit out of us or use the chat function on this forum, I usually keep it open when I'm on my laptop if people need an admin and such.

Also Mikel, I know to me the Manual really doesn't cut it to explain how everything works. I'm not going to stand around there and read a wall of text.

I was lucky to be able to join up in one of m8's squads when I first joined and basically taught me everything I needed, we need more of that.

DonChris LAN_WROTE ...

Also happens that there is "beginner" or "train" squads, wich in my opinion, are not welcome to the VG COOP, cause the VG comunity is based on experience and TeamPlay across all squads.

Maybe =VG= could expand the Server Message showing in the upper left screen to make clear that this ist not a train server, as i understand that VG COOP isnt a train server.

I'm not sure where you came under the opinion that VG is not a training friendly server because its definetly where I learned to play PR as well as a few other of the VG Members. I'm pretty sure its always been intend to be a friendly atmosphere where experienced players are more than welcome to share tips with newer players. - I Dont think its very TeamPlay based to tell people they cant play with us because they have too little experience. I thought that in all honesty all VG servers were intended to be a friendly place where Veterans and newguys play together and produce a productive atmosphere. Where else are people going to learn teamplay? By themselves somewhere?.... - I feel my posts sometimes come across somewhat aggressive so I feel I Should clarify this isnt any jabs Its just a discussion.

I dont think really that a message is needed its not awfully difficult to iron out a newguy and teach him how to play at least a rifleman in 2 minutes with a bit of effort. I Think its more than enough to just be positive like I hear of M823us and be respectful to new guys. Do you really want to put up a wall and put a sign on it saying newguys not welcome here? I'm guessing not.
I like to think I play on all of the VG servers with the intention of training to get better at what I do otherwise theres very little point to it at all for me.
(Feel free to tell me NO! Your wrong! + Insert opinion)

Heya GAZ !thx

Maybe u got me wrong, like i said, i?m not blaming new players and i welcome them with all of my heart....
As i talked about the training server issue, i ment that usually COOP is for training purpose, so on most COOP Server u can just do what you want to do.
On VG COOP its different, cause there is a specific set of rules, which includes punishment if u go against thoose rules.
Clearly u need "learning by doing" and so far all is workin fine with new players.
But there are more and more incidents, which i notice, like forming "train squads" and wasting assets in order to learn flying or driving and abandoned or destroying vehicles.
That stuff is clearly against the rules of VG COOP and keeps admins busy every day.
Also lots of "non TeamPlay" that i notice, and lot of times i heard "its just COOP" when telling them that it?s wrong behavior and against the server rules.

I respect your opinion GAZ and maybe you are right to not put up such message.
But still, if the message shows that u need to read the rules, and then there is a wall of text, u might skip that and go on just playing. But then thoose "wall of text rules" become real and u get banned.

My suggestion was just a little attempt to smooth that situation.

Maybe a better message following after the original message:

"TAKE YOUR JOB SERIOUSLY ! TROLLING WILL BE PUNISHED !"

.. hm i dont know, maybe somebody comes up with an other message...

But, i think a message expand COULD help to reduce incidents, wich clearly pile up at the moment.
Its a fast and simple way, and i think we should just give it a try.

Love&Hugs
Don

--------------------------------
I !heart =VG=

I think there's two kinds of new players; 1 those who don't know what they're doing and purposefully refuse to learn just to troll. These players waste assets, ruin squad/team cohesion and then blame it on lack or experience and/or game knowledge. 2 is the guys who don't know the game and actively try to learn, sometimes causing frustration with more expirenced players. The attitude and willingness to learn how to play properly is a major component is the newer players. I know some players may get frustrated with them and place them into the same category as group 1, being ignorant on purpose. When then getting yelled at and kicked from a squad these new learning players can lose heart in trying to play PR. Although i am an admni now, i was once a wide-eyed scrub at PR, and thankfully many frequent players on this sever understood this and helped me get better. That can be, as an admin sometimes hard to tell the differnce between group 1 and 2. Don and Gaz both have good points, we need to help foster new players into how to learn how to play properly and at the same time curb the troll trolley.
That being said, generally if a player is brand new to the game, I usually strongly recommend running infantry before trying vehicle assets, on low population servers or in local. Thats for me where the "this is not a training sever" comes in.

Good points all around. And well said, Gaz.

This is not a training server. This is a Live COOP Server - BUT - This server welcomes new players with open arms, we merely expect them to follow the rules, and not run around doing as they please with total disregard for the way PR is played/kit requests/asset use/squad based gameplay.

Most of the rules are even geared towards some of the points raised here: no flying vehicles until you know how (learn to fly offline, come online to test your skills live); improper asset use/mortar use; etc.

All games have noObs, this one is no different. It's learning curve is a bit steeper, and it requires more patience than the standard FPS games. You have two choices: hope that the game is not so popular that only veterans of the game will play it; or to welcome each successive wave of new people turned onto this awesome Squad based mod built on a 10 year old game. I'd love an automatic system for all of this so I don't need to take the time to talk with people, to diplomatically resolve issues, take time out of my own play time to help run things, but we will always need to make those efforts, and it will never boil down to just one more perfectly worded announcement MOTD sentence.

We'll support whatever you come up with, and if it would help, we'll add it - but it will never replace the personal connection you can make with a new player or squad by talking to them, and being patient and encouraging (and swift with the switch on the trolls and griefers).