Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

AAR for Saturday April 6th ARMA3 event.

suomikeizari

alright guys, you can give some feed back here on what went well and what didn't,
any ideas on how to improve would be appreciated!

IMO went well,
the lack of acre and easy mission gave the event a relaxed,
but a bit detached feeling (from other squads, I was in Viking-2)
also the ALPHA stage of ARMA3 probably affected as well, as well as my crappy timing :P

I will post all info in time next time and make sure there everything is set for less confusion.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As CAS, since I wasn't tasked once it was a bit boring, but since the mission hardly had any threats that infantry would need help on there really wasn't any need for CAS.

For future missions I think we should stick to vehicles only, and also drop the KA60 transport chopper which was only used a few times. At least when we are on Stratis which isn't that big any more.

The mission itself had a few minor issues:
- Not possible to rearm/refuel in airfield for choppers
- Destroyed choppers do not respawn, and there is no wreck chopper that can be used to pick them up

ArmA issue:
- Sometimes chopper explode mid air...

Thanks for organizing the event, hope to see another one :)

I think a different mission might do better, with more threat/combat for every sector on the island. Having some urban combat in Marina is always nice as well.

Insurgency Bravo team debrief

Rolled out shortly after getting kitted up and had a look at the north western part of the island, met up with a different squad ( Alpha / Pigon? ) at Killfarm. They had the situation under control so pulled perimeter security while they dealt with the cache, after that we moved out towards ao3 and only halted to see if the team that hit an ied needed an assist.
Upon closing in on ao3 we took fire from the woods but returned fire with the HMG and pulled up to the base, cleared the inside of the base without incident and moved on to the next ao.

From this point on our team didn't see much of the other squads but I enjoyed our drive on stratis even so.
Hit up most of the unchecked ao's on the north eastern side of stratis for the remainder of the mission, came across 3 contact zones but only two cache sites.
All in all I enjoyed it and my team performed well.

Domination Hotel team debrief

-J
-Murderface
-Outanders
-Wooz

Loaded up in a hunter hmg and drove down to the ao, upon arrival we soon spotted hostiles and started to engage and after that section of the ao felt safer we moved further south landing us on the ridge running into the ocean north of (girna?) and kept engaging, while we had a easy time on insurgency on domi they just kept flowing into the ao even got flanked at some point in time.

While the hordes of opfor kept at it I decided we should lock our sights on the radio tower and we made our way there thanks to our armored hunter that was shrugging off bullets like the amazing hulk.
However the engine block needs some serious reinforcements, got my full moneys worth our of murderface roadside assist repairing it all the time.

Now overlooking the radio tower a quick scan showed the surrounding areas to be safe and the team moved down and took out the radio tower.
Taking our time we kept up the fire on the town and had a unfortunate ff incident but we ain't perfect, shortly after the town was clear and I left to get some much needed sleep.

Comments

Insurgency types

Until a few days ago I was unaware that there was two different insurgency game modes being developed and I got to say I enjoy the regular one better than this one.
While this version can be fun too it has downsides, for instance if we had an intel marker somewhere we'd all band up and go to that location then clear that area and that would keep us linked.
As it is now we can just roll around the island and hope to get shot at by some people close to a cache, now I'd wager that if someone in a base down in Afghanistan was tasked with taking out a weapon cache they would not get the order "drive around till people shoot at you then see if they are close to a weapons cache".
Most likely there would be some sort of intel to go by, that in this general area we got reports of jada jada..

Coms

One does not appreciate something till it's gone.. ACRE come back!
The amount of radio usage in side for insurgency was pretty minimal which I enjoy, and as for domi there was a tad more but nothing too heavy.

Insurgency Daipers vs Domination

I think we all know which was the harder mission and we can still get better at calling in cas / support, however from a grunt perspective one wants to handle it on the ground, and from a pilots perspective one just wants to aid to the mission.
On the insurgency version we played there is hardly a need for cas, on domination on the other hand one often could use some support.
At least yesterday mortars was being deployed on targets in the ao so that's something.

I do have some feedback regarding the event itself, acre will help out a lot since you can reach out to specific people and only keep in touch with the people you need to be in touch with and otherwise manage your team.
Dap insurgency seems less suited for a large session, perhaps if it's running publicly then you might have problems since people might be spread all over.
Once the bugs are kicked out of the 0.90 vg edit I'd recommend that one instead of this one, one aspect I'd like to see stolen from dap is the "feature" for the caches to spawn outside of areas with buildings.
And with intel one can still find it even though it's in a forest without any red squares.

Hmm I better stop writing for now.

From my point of view as transport I had a few tasks (3 from Pigeon, one from Castor and one from Gaz - plus a second from Gaz I delegated to Instant because I was busy) through the course of the mission but was mostly left unoccupied. Toward the end I used initiative and began to scout enemy positions, but this could have been requested much sooner.

I think running a second mission afterwards was a bit excessive and I notice several people tapped out at that point, myself included, because its easy to burn out after playing seriously for that long.

Personally I think the other insurgency is much more fun if not for the gamebreaking bugs that can occur.
ACRE seems like it could have helped a lot, though the Air channel was not particularly busy so I had no real issue with the setup myself.

If ACRE is not released officially by the time the next event is arranged I can sort out a guide for setting it up. I've managed to get it working for myself, ciro and Castor so far in testing.