Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

=VG= Arma3 Alpha Server

=VG= SavageCDN

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server is on stable branch at the moment. I believe another patch is coming this week as well (with campaign release).

Headless client will come soon... no real performance increase with small player counts and Insurgency-style missions. It makes a big difference in larger missions with lots of AI simultaneously on the map.

Also I've been approached by the MSO Dev Team to see if we would like to test MSO for Arma 3 - called "ALiVE" (Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment). It's an add-on now instead of just mission scripts so a download is required. What do you guys think do you want to try it out? If so we'll have to keep it within the group and also provide some basic feedback.

Ok server is now running the @ALiVE mod. Mod and PDF manual are available for download in the Teamspeak channel

You will need this mod plus @CBA_A3 - here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767

Signature checks are not enabled (no keys for @Alive mod yet) so make sure you are running @Alive, @CBA, and client-side mods ONLY.

Server is locked again - password is: vg

I would suggest reading the manual as it gives you a general idea about ALiVE. It's quite different from MSO for Arma 2 but has a lot of the same features. Persistent database stuff is not yet working.

There are AI commanders for each faction that control all AI groups on the map, creating a large on-going battle. AI will spawn in when players get within 1500m. What's neat is AI groups outside that range still 'fight' in a virtual battle even if there are no players near, regardless if they are actually spawned in on the map or not.

For the test mission on the server some debug information is enabled to help in testing. It takes a few minutes for the server to start the battle and generate the units, so be patient. All groups will be marked on the map once things get going and you'll also notice a lot of crap on sidechat... obviously this is only for testing purposes.

*** VERY IMPORTANT ***

The ALiVE devs were kind enough to include us in their beta testing - please return the favour by NOT spreading the word on this!! They do not want this released yet!!

Files are in the Arma 3 ALiVE teamspeak channel... I was kinda hesitant to post the links in the forums

Expect an update at some point this weekend with new files

screenshot of Combat Support GUI
http://kevingunn.co.uk/cs_gui.png

example of optional stats tracking site
http://tupolov77.wix.com/a3live

Alive AAR.

Spent a few hours today playing solo.
-Some enemy AI spawn in the ocean if near the coast.
-The opfor/blufor don't take territory. Even if I clear the area. They just maintain there own little patrol area.
-The manual talks about support abaility. I'm not sure if this is working as I didn't see any.
-BLUFOR had some aircraft at the north airfield but they were content to just sit stationary. Even when under OPFOR attack.
-Greece and Rebels seemed to be light on the AI side. I'm not sure if this is intentional.

Is this our missions or our attempt at a mission using Alive?

It's the mission they provided as a demo.. I made a few tweaks.

- Support module is not working yet apparently so no re-inforcements or supplies.
- I think the Bluffor aircraft in the north are for CAS support but I think it's broken

You access the ALiVE menu using your apps key (not mentioned in the manual)

The one PITN was playing was most def the stock one provided - not the one Savage tweaked. Savage's seems to work pretty well, I saw incoming Arty I believe. I sat around for a few hours in Savage's version, then loaded the stock version, and watched the bots battle it out. Very cool. FPS never dropped below 20, even when I was in a large battle in a town.

*EDIT: When you are logged in as the Admin in game, you can select to view ALL units, and get a better tracking picture of what is happening on the virtual battlefield. Then, admin commands like Ghost Mode and Teleport allow you to pop around and see the battle with actually spawned units.

But the stock one, I dunno - when I saw things spawn at sea, it took less than 2 minutes for the engine to fix it and then they appeared on the nearest coastal road just fine. (Note - when at sea, I teleported there and did not see the units spawn in on the map - even tho the map said they were there at that spot)

Way cool missions - and I didn't know about the app keys - gonna try that today. Thanks again, Savage, for finding this and getting us early access!!

Yeah I think you're right Semler - even though the unit icon is over the water I don't think they actually spawn in the water... it seems to move the unit (when it spawns) to the closest coast. I've noticed that too with mechanized/motorized units... map icon has them 100m away from the road but if you teleport near them they will spawn in on the road.

It seems that terrain is pretty much ignored in the 'virtual' environment when it comes to placement and movement of units. Not sure if it affects any virtual combat.

I also think the virtual combat happens too fast.. units seem to move right by each other at times in trying to reach their objectives. Once they reach their destination fighting seems to happen more (units get eliminated and removed from the map). Probably needs some more observation.

I tried using CAS (you need a laser designator then apps key > Combat Support) but it just gave me a script error.

Hopefully they send out an update this weekend as I'm anxious to see how it runs with full logistics /supplies / reinforcements.

Feel free to de-pbo the mission file and see how it works. You can adjust the number of AI under each "Military Placement" module > Force Size. Starts at Platoon (30) and goes all the way up to (I think) Battalion (800).. or even higher can't recall ATM. Running in Singleplayer in the editor preview does work.

Yeah not sure maybe the teleporting has a negative effect on the spawning or causes other problems? It would seem odd to spawn an armored unit in the ocean :)

@Vetala - don't worry.. go ahead and play other missions just reset the server when you're done (ie: back to the mission list screen)

Dunno about anyone else but after yesterday's update the ALiVE missions are unplayable (extremely low FPS and high mem usage)...

update - actually it runs like shit for me in SP and MP preview but if I join the VG server mission seems to run fine

Server is being updated with latest version of ALiVE. You will need to delete the 1st version and re-download from the Teamspeak file browser channel (ALiVE MSO for A3). Haven't looked at it yet so not sure what has changed.

@ALiVE mod
PDF manual
test mission

For maximum compatibility and to ensure everything works please only load @CBA and @ALiVE mods during testing.

Note that the demo mission takes much longer to initialize than before... seems to be the CQB module that is adding locations over the entire map. I'll see about removing those or making another smaller mission to test.