Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

ACRE Radio Settings and Usage

=VG= SemlerPDX

Here's a good tutorial video all about ACRE Radio Settings for those who don't wish to read about it.

SETTING RADIOS TO MAX RANGE FOR THE AN/PRC's 148, 119, & 117:

ACRE Controls:
Left Shift + Left Control + X = Access Current Radio
Left Shift + Left Control + A or S = Switch between ACRE Radios
Left Shift + Left Alt. + Q = ACRE Interaction Menu: Access Radio Rack in Vehicle (ALL air/land vehicles have an AN/PRC-117 radio in them, also used (in ACE for sure) to access Command Radio on squadmate)
Left Shift + Left Alt. + E = ACRE Self Interaction Menu: Access Radio Functions
Left Shift + Left Control + (Up Arrow, Left Arrow, or Right Arrow) = Set which ear current radio recieves transmissions through.
Left Shift + Left Control + 1 = PTT Preset: Talk on 343
Left Shift + Left Control + 2 = PTT Preset: Talk on (Command Radio)

NOTE: Your standard PUSH TO TALK button will be your radio "cue" button. Your TS3 PTT button will become your "local communication", like speaking out loud and it is 3D positional. You will not hear someone "talking" if you are more than 15 feet from them. This is where the Radios and their Ranges come in to pick up the load.You WILL be talking LOCALLY when using Radio, and any around you, friend or foe, will hear you as well - but, those on the same radio channel will hear you over that radio, range permitting.

You must disable your Arma PTT button under Options if it is CapsLock, this is your ACRE Radio Transmit button now.

SQUAD RADIO:
Used for local communications between squad members in the same area when simply talking (TS3 PTT button) cannot be heard. Set a designated Squad channel for different fire teams in the same AO when necessary.

The AN/PRC-343:

It's range is not adjustable. All personel should carry this radio, and it will be on your person when you first enter an ACRE game. It fills a Map/Compass gear slot. You can have this radio, and one of the Command Radios (148/119/117).

The two knobs on top are Channel on the left and Volume on the right. Left and Right mouse clicks adjust either up or down. There are 16 channels and the range on this radio is the smallest of all 4.

Remeber, you can carry 2 radios at a time and each can be assigned to playback out of one, the other, or both ears. Press ctrl+shift Left, Right, or Up to set this for your current radio. It's recommended to set your AN/PRC-343 Squad Radio to your LEFT ear and your other (Command) Radio to your RIGHT ear. This way you can more easily differentiate who is transmitting and on what radio. If you are, say, squad 4, have your soldiers set 343 to channel 4, and you will not hear any other squad's chatter on the 343 - just your own. If you are KIA, some radio settings revert. Verify proper setup again before returning to action.

You can only carry ONE Command Radio at a time (the 148, the 119, OR the 117). If you attempt to carry a 119/117 and a 148 as well, you may lose Radio function and range.

COMMAND RADIOS:
These radios all have adjustable range and are suitable for cross-squad communications and long distance transmission. Generally, only one person in a squad needs to have one of these, such as a squad leader or designated "radio man".

You can use the radio on the "radio man's" back using the ACRE Interaction Menu, simulating real life radio usage in the field. Begin transmission stating who you are, who you are trying to contact, and ask for copy.
Example: "Squad 4 to Squad 1, come in" then they should reply something like "Squad 4 this is Squad 1, copy (or go ahead)" - Now transmit your message ending with "Over" or "How Copy?".

For training, you should become familiar with each of these.

The AN/PRC-148:

The 148 has a range of 5000 and fills a weapons slot in the Map/Compass area of your gear. You cannot carry a 148 and a 119 or 117 at the same time or they won't work properly.
Bring up your 148 by selecting it as your current radio (default: ctrl+shft C) then press view radio (default: ctrl+shft X).
EDIT: Switch Radios button differ for different ACRE versions(example: crtl+shft A or S for ACRE 1.3.2)

At the very top are the Channel knob on the left and Volume knob on the right. As with the 343, left click to increase, right click to decrease. Alternatively, the Up and Down arrow keys below MENU and SCAN also adjust channel.

To set range, click MODE button 2 times. You will see Current (Range) 500 and New (Range) blinking. Click up or down arrow keys to change new range - 5000 MAX. Click ENT (Enter) to set and lock it. Follow the same procedure to check and adjust as needed.

The AN/PRC-119:

The 119 is a Soviet/Vietnam-Era radio. It is a backpack radio, and as such, can be packed with plenty of gear and equipment (but only if you are playing on an ACRE with ACE mod as well). It has 3 range settings and when inside a vehicle, a 4th.

Change between 6 channels by clicking the CH knob at the top left. Below that knob is the RF PWR selector. Click this to set range to LO, Medium, or HI. When in a vehicle, set it to PA for maximum range of 40,000. The SQ or Squelch knob is not modeled in the game, but is clickable. On the right side is the Volume knob, and above that is another selector that is not needed for your use (or not modeled).

The AN/PRC-117:

Here is the modern bad-boy of the portable VHF radio world. Like the 119, it is a backpack radio and can carry loads of items (again, only if you are playing on an ACRE and ACE enabled server). It has a maximum range of 20,000.
The Volume + or - on the left is just that. The PRE + or - on the right is your Channel selector. There are 100 preset channels.

To set maximum range, click the #8 (PGM) button and then click ENT (Enter). You will see the five settings modes, the first one blinking:

FREQ CS DATA
SQL POWER NAME

Click the Left or Right arrow buttons untill POWER is blinking, then click the ENT (Enter) button. Now you will see a familiar display:

CUR: 5000
NEW: 5000

Click the left or right arrow buttons to adjust NEW to max range (20,000), then press ENT (Enter).

Like the 117, there is a special channel knob on the right - it's either not needed for standard use or not modeled in the game. Just leave it set to PT. (Try setting it to CLR and check the display!)

FINAL NOTE: Backpacks are invaluable in the field, but the 119, and particularly the 117, have very large antennas and can give you away (to human players, at least). Remember, Shape/Shadow/Shine/Silhouette.
Lastly, when playing on a server using ACE mod also, make sure you are mindful of your stamina. 40kg of gear is a managable weight, and I find I don't pass out too much. Listen for your heart beat and to your breathing, don't run all the time (especially up a grade or hill!) and sit down behind some cover to rest up fast.
GOOD LUCK!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=VG= dman248 LAN_WROTE ...

Switching radios is not longer C its A and S

Thanks dman! I've adjusted the first post. I'm also thrilled to see ACRE back, and with the JSRS Sound Mod and WarFX BlastCore Visuals (all optional client-side mods), the server is looking amazing! We should have the full suite running within the week. !2cool

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
I've uploaded the ACRE files and keys to the Clafghan server for this weekend's event... still need to setup a new cmd line and restart server which I will do this evening.

Also JSRS and Blastcore keys are now added on both servers... let me know if there are any issues.

Great post Semler!!

Pourquoi parlons-nous de la langue fran?aise? Peut-?tre devrais-je faire de ce thread entier dans la langue de vin et le sexe, n'est-ce pas? Est-ce que quelqu'un d'autre chose que le concept d'un gangster fran?ais est ridicule?

Yall are some kooky dudes!

Fun with Translators

lupago =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

I really need to practice with this man.

Murderface LAN_WROTE ...

just what Lupago said

As mentioned in the thread for tomorrow, I will be around an hour or so before the event to answer any ACRE questions, and will do a quick training session on the 343 and 148 before we begin.
There isn't that much to learn for basic radio usage, especially for non-ftls.

Guest AirborneAlways
=VG= Eclipse002 LAN_WROTE ...

Is acre a mod...or add on...
....Cuz when it comes to computers im a frikking redneck.....

Yes......

It is a TeamSpeak addon and a Game mod......

For close range communications, such at the team-mate that is next to you {ACRE is a position related addon/mod}, then you use your standard Push-to-Talk for TS. But if you look at TS while in game most will indicate that they can't hear you and you will have to you the in-game push-to-talk (usually CapsLock) for ACRE.

This info provided to you freely by the high-tech REDNECK from Oklahoma

OK....ACRE is a nice bonus for ARMA2...i could get used to it.
First off all a BIG thank you to SAVAGE , SEMLER and CALV for the hard work to teach me the steps...and thx for the patiance.
And thank you all for a super cool game session on VG ARMA 2 server with ACRE.
I'm ready for my next briefing and next sortie.
HOOAH!