Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Cable bill went up again.

PITN

Well I just received my cable/internet bill for the month of November. It seems that my rate has gone up about $5 U.S. Dollars recently. Wait, but there is more. It also contains a disclaimer that rates will go up another $5 USD next month. So I'm looking at $114 USD for basic cable and an internet connection set at 3mb down and 0.5mb up. Absolute BULLSHIT! !angry

In all honesty I'm done with this company. Unfortunately I do not have a viable alternative out here in the sticks. If you see less of me it will be because I have cut the cord. Cable TV can go the way of the dinosaur for all I care. I may manage to sneak in some time on the Android phone but no broadband bandwidth for me.

I'm still undecided but I feel that I have no other choice at the moment. Boy, I am pissed off right now.
!butcher

p.s. The Gipper once said, ?You can get me to crap a pineapple, but you can't get me to crap a cactus.?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is little incentive for additional companies to invest in infrastructure in low population (low profit) areas, the result being a monopoly. My choice of providers and speed is also limited but no where near as bad as your situation. We dont have the same scale of physical network distances to deal with.

Its fucking awful that you have no choice, you either pay up and fund the cable bosses private jet/ponies/silk pajamas, or you have no internet. That shit needs to be fixed.

Edit; Read this a few days ago on why US internet is expensive http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383

That blows, PITN!!! Seriously! I hope you find a way to keep online, cuz there's no way the Eagles Club Bingo Night could compare to a nice war game session... They have us Americans over a barrel, just like Robot's news link says, and they know it, too. Well, I bet you will still get email on your phone, right? I may start buggin you every few weeks with what's happening just so you don't feel too left out.
!crying

I hear you our cable bill (TV, Internet) is now close to $200 a month and we're considering ditching it entirely, going with a small local ISP that has no limits on d/l per month and watching anything over Netflix or similar service.

It's not as bad here in Kanuckistan... we still have the same shitty speeds and overpriced connections but at least the gov't has some regulatory powers and forces the big monopolies to provide services to smaller communities.

Also there are 2 main players in Canada, Bell (phone line) and Rogers (Cable) - both have been forced by regulation to allow other smaller ISPs to purchase access to their physical lines meaning a smaller ISP can now offer similar services without having to lay their own wires. Of course the big two resisted this kind of thing however our gov't kindly reminded them that way back when they were given an easement (and tax breaks) to allow them to run lines on public and private property.

I believe the US broadband market is completely deregulated so those are the results you see.

Same thing happened with telephone.. gov't forced companies to provide services to everyone nationwide.. even with HUGE distances between settlements like in the arctic.