Sign in to follow this  
Guest Widow

A Veterans Search for Realism

Guest Widow
For me, the hobby of playing First Person Shooters (FPS) has been to recapture the feeling of my combat experience in real life. The fact is, life takes us down different paths- we get older, have children; and at least for me, I find myself looking back missing those days. For years, when Americas Army (AA) came out, that search for realism was somewhat satisfied. But, I couldn?t help feeling like something was missing. I found myself constantly saying ?if only AA did this?.

Eventually my search brought me to Call of Duty Modern Warfare. I was invited to be a part of a select community of developers working on a realism mod. I jumped at the chance. This could be the opportunity I needed to finally bring my dreams and experience to a table of developers working on a possible answer. But all hopes were lost when I realized the small maps limits of the game itself, just couldn?t tackle what I wanted from a FPS.

I spent several years bouncing from game to game (even the Battlefield series). I had truly given up with my search within the gaming community.

Until one day? a friend showed me the game called, Arma 2 and a few mods.

I found myself calling all my battle buddies and gaming friends, rambling on for hours on end about the game that has answered all my prayers. Arma 2, combined with ACE and ACRE, was really something special to sit back and admire. The possibilities of this game almost seemed endless.

Before I knew it, I found myself in the virtual battlefield of Arma 2 with other players. Jumping from the back of a Blackhawk, as it quickly touched down, I immediately went to the prone to pull my 360 perimeter. I found myself embarrassed as I looked around noticing that the other players stood there seemingly unaware of the emotional feeling, lost in a sea of emersion. I had instinctively followed through with my training. The credit really goes to the realistic sounds of Arma 2 and the amazing sounding G35 surround sound headset from Logitech.

There have been countless occasions like this over the past year. One other sticks out in my mind. In the beginning of my military career, I volunteered for the 11M program, where at Fort Benning, I received training from the first Bradley Fighting Vehicles being introduced as a mechanized unit. It was an amazing experience and a very important part in my life. I was able to experience every aspect of the BFV from driving, gunning, BC, and dismount. So when I saw the M2A2 Bradley in Arma2m, I couldn?t wait to jump in. I was not disappointed. From my first deployment, many of my photo albums are full of pictures of the Bradley. I have to give credit to the Arma2 developers. I have found nothing so far that they have missed in detail.

Just when I thought arma2 had given all it had to offer a month ago, a player introduced me to Arma 2 MSO. A campaign oriented domination that gave me the feeling of a FPS and RPG combined. This is where I truly found myself reliving memories and feelings of being deployed in a combat zone/peace keeping mission. From doing patrols, interacting with civilians, performing check points, and searching vehicles; this was truly the ultimate deployment experience. This is how realism FPS should be experienced.

To tell you to buy Arma2 and just play that would be a handy cap. The true experience lies within the mods like ACE, ACRE, and servers with MSO.

This combat veteran has finally found realism in the virtual world.

Typed Sincerely,

Widow - "Outlaw Six"

Welcome to the site! I'm also an Armaholic. Wanted to serve but couldn't, and ArmA 2 fills that desire deep inside me. ACE/ACRE are amazing mods.

Lately, we've been pushing to allow JSRS Sound Mod Pack and BlastCore Visuals Mod, and even ACRE on our Standard (non-ACE) Domination Server. ACRE isn't working yet, but the sound and visuals are. I now find it hard to play anywhere without my JSRS and BlastCore Visuals on. Hopefully, I'll get my gaming PC fixed today, finally.

I like the idea of this MSO, and we will look into it. We do try to focus on the COOP/non-modded Public players, but we have many talks about getting a proper ACE server up in the future, and MSO would be a great way to keep that server popular and playable.

I wonder though, what about when the server gets porked and needs to be reset? Will it remember our progress up to that point, or does it all reset to the beginning on a server restart?

Here's the MSO link from Armaholics, it's amazing:
Multi-Session Operators

Guest Widow
Would be awesone to see VG throw up a MSO server...i fear for the hours of sleep I would lose. But it would be so worth it lol.

We can certainly use some more testers and mod assistance if you are interested. PITN heads up the ArmA 2 Insurgency Server, and Poffadder, Savage, myself, and others are leading the fight to improve the Domination Server.

Join us on TS3 in the Arma 2 Scripting/Editing channel sometime. We'll certainly throw this MSO up on a test server when possible to try it out.