Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Time for change.

PITN

I have been reflecting lately about personal computers, gaming, the internet and the direction the industry is heading. I have been using a computer since the Commadore 64 and the Apple IIe. My first PC was an Apple IIc and my first built PC was a 386 DX2 40 that I made from used parts over 20 years ago. I have had several PCs over the years. Some that I have bought and some that I have built.My last build was to support BF3 (the big lie) and the ARMA series.

I have known for awhile now that game publishers have been moving away from the PC platform and to the console platform. I have resented this shift from the developers by first boycotting UBISoft and other developers that were console centric. I had hoped that BF3 was going to be the super PC game of the year but that was not to be and it was instead published as a console port. I resented EA and DICE for that. But after reflection and some research I realized that I have been in denial and that my anger was misdirected.

I now firmly believe that piracy is the main reason for the shift in developer releases. The last game that I know of that was designed strictly for the PC and it's capabilities was Crysis. When I played Crysis it was a fun single-player game but when it came to multiplayer it was shit and full of little hacking assholes. I couldn't stand it and I tossed it in the corner with less than 10 multiplayer hours played. Later I come to find out that it is estimated that 70-90% of all online PC Crysis players where on cracked/pirated games. In response the developer said that Crysis 2 will be designed as a console game and the CEO has publicly stated that they will no longer develop games for the PC. This just means that all future games will be developed for the consoles and then ported to the PC. But the seed to end my denial was a conversation I had on the TS server while playing some ARMA.

A few months back I has a chance to talk to a UBISoft engineer. We talked about PC games, RainbowSix, and console ports. In a discussion about my position/boycott of UBISoft and console ports he stood by his companies position and, I am ashamed to say, one that I initially dismissed. He told me that a popular game was released for the PC in the US market only, with a European release scheduled for a later date. It turned out that within 24 hours of the US release their support line for that game was flooded with calls from customers in European countries (Italy was mentioned) and that these so called customers were having trouble getting the game to work. To put it simply, kids that downloaded the game from a torrent or other site couldn't get it to work. From this I surmised that piracy has gone from the above average PC user hiding in the shadows to nearly every PC user stupid enough to risk getting caught using stolen content.

Other issues have been the rampant cheating. In the past cheaters were small groups of trusted friends and once identified were easy to dismiss. Now the hacks have the audacity to sell their cheats or give them to anyone freely. Couple this with the rampant PC piracy and cd crackz and you have an unlimited source of grief that can't be effectively controlled by any admin or 3rd party anti-cheat service.

This last year I have purchased only a few video games and all of them have shown their limitations and have revealed themselves as being console ports. Add in the average PC players mentality, the global shift of developers/publishers and you may come to the same conclusion. PC gaming as I have known it is dead. However, the PC game will continue in the future but in a different form.

Console ports will continue to dominate the current PC market but the next shift will be in television and portable devices such as phones and tablets. You will end up leasing content from the major studios and publisher through proprietary devices and software. Currently there are huge litigation wars and backroom deals already occurring around the world between the major players. Even Netflix has effectively been neutered by the studios by starting their own services such as Hulu or MyHBO. My ISP has gone from an internet provider to a content provider. Just one more middle man sniffing my internet traffic so they can sell my browsing information to the highest bidder.

In the end I will be canceling my ISP service due to throttling, sniffing packets(suspected), poor latency, bandwidth compression and price increases. I pay well over $100 per month for a landline ISP service that I can no longer justify along with another $100+ for a mobile ISP that is even worse. You may think that this move is purely financial but it is only one factor in many. The internet is going in a direction that I do not approve of. Not only will you be forced to use a companies proprietary hardware/software but you will also have to relinquish your rights of privacy to do so.

I want you to imagine paying a monthly fee for internet access. Then a monthly fee for a devices access to the manufacturers server. Then a monthly fee for a game publishers access. Then separate monthly fees for movies published by different studios. Then monthly fees for your music downloads. Then add a monthly fee for your cloud computing storage area. Oh, and by the way. When you go over your monthly download bandwidth limits, becuase you have to d/l or stream all of your leased digital content, you get slammed with overage fees. There is even discussions about ISP's charging you to visit certain 'high traffic' sites that they don't even own. Places like Facebook and Youtube.

Most of you are too young to understand what I am describing and you may dismiss this as a complete rant. But just think of this. As future generations are born and raised into this new world they will have no concept of the freedoms that have already been taken away. Just look at Youtube.

How many times have you clicked on a link to have the message say that you cannot view it in your country? To me that is utter bullshit! The internet should be pure freedom. Freedom to express and absorb whatever is out there. I can understand protecting the rights of ones own work and to charge for licensed content is acceptable in moderation but I can't abide by censorship. This slippery slope has been started under the guise of copyright protections but what happens when those censorship's crossover to other subjects? Don't get me wrong I am not supporting illegal criminal activities but if I want to see the news feed from the BBC or Al Jazeera that should be my right.

Since my hobby of the last 25 years has started to turn into shit I find myself looking for a new hobby. Retirement is only a decade away and I don't want to spend it in a cyberworld controlled by greedy corporations. I don't think it will be all bad nor will I unplug completely but this change is neceassary for me. Currently I think that Arma 3 will be my last true PC game on the condition that I find a suitable ISP between now and then. In the meantime I will be cleaning house and detoxing from my PC hobby.

Good luck my friends. !heart

PITN

p.s. I have may place ads for some PC goodies here to sell before they go on ebay/craigslist so you guys can get the first crack. L8r.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PITN,

since you whrote quite a long post about multiple subjects, I feel like you deserve a long reply !winks

About the PC gaming market:
It's true that many companies start to make the new instalments of there classic PC franchise for console but there are also a lot of developers still making there games exclusivly for the PC.

Overall, 2011 was an great year for the PC. Hardcore gamers started playing DCS: A-10c, Tribes Ascend and Il2 Cliffs of Dover, Indie companies released Minecraft, Terraria and Magicka while more casual games like Anno 2070, Total War: Shogun 2 and the whole HoN, LoL, DotA2 series got released for PC only.

EA and Activision are 2 companies no longer needed in the PC market while services like Steam show that the PC gaming market is far from being dead.

About Piracy:
In terms of piracy, both sides need to be blaimed

Basicly, gamers get there games the easiest way they can find.

If they can eather just download it by torrent or wait 3 more month until the game can be ordered from an other country, a significant ammount of gamers will just pirate it.

Meanwhile, if they eighter first have to download a slow torrent and then have to crack it using their rocket scientist know how or just buy and directly download a self-repairing game with community support over Steam, pretty much no one with a bit of cache on there credit card will pirate the game.

Publishers need to make the game easily accessible to the gamers while gamers have to be honest and not pirate a game they could just buy.

As far as I know, the only technical way to make piracy impossible is to have a constant connection to a server in order to play which is difficult to set up.

About finding a new hobby:
Leaving behind a long loved hobby is always difficult and depressing but it's required in order to find new and interesting things to do. I wish you the best of luck and be sure to know that you are always welcome to come back to play a few rounds of ArmA with us!

Cheers, Iffn

We've been online playing while this is happening to you - your ISP or whatever you wanna call it is messing with you. As "utility" companies, ISP's are just outside the realm of monopolies in that we are all stuck really with the choices we have in the US based on what neighborhood we move into. Personally, I wanna live a lot closer to the Cascade Mountains, like we talked about once "how screwed would you be in a city if disaster struck?"

No way I could move out there until the internet is as good in rural areas as it is in major cities. I also will unplug if/when they actually force numerous bills on me, but not before. This is the next frontier, right before our eyes. I also have been here since the beginning, a generation almost a decade behind yours, witnessing this evolution. You are right to boycott bad software companies, this is a proven method in a capitalist industry. Tons of negative reviews will eventually kill or transform a company and get it out of the mainstream where true core values still exist. This is why I personally am behind Bohemia Interactive all the way. Along with many companies still out there, they are true to their medium, push their hardware limitations and ours, and put the opinions of their customers directly into their work.

I don't view the internet as one single thing, and so to me, this is a battle to be fought on many fronts. Dedication and perserverance are required weapons. Hope is the suit of armor that must never be shed. The flow and direction of the industry could go down that slippery slope, or we as the internet community could get off our butts, and then sit down again of course, and organize our voice like we did with the SOPA Protest. That mattered - the world heard, and so did big government! What we need is a consumer protection policy to stop companies from making these ridiculously demanding Terms of Use agreements that are starting to plague the software and hardware industries.

In the end, apathy of good men and women would kill the internet freedoms before big companies.

Really, you should be mailing your post to your internet service provider, and tell them to go screw. At the very least, you should send them a flaming bag of dog crap - let them do a little packet sniffing if they want to...
!spite

the real problem is that gaming is becoming too 'mainstream'. A large majority of the people I hang out with here at college are just normal people and not 'gamers', however i swear every house i go to everyone has an xbox and a CoD title. it's just become something that everyone has regardless of if they are a regular gamer or enjoy lots of different games. Its because of this, the widespread of consoles and 'casual' gamers, that they will keep making these games and keep shunning the PC community.

In my eyes there's only a few reasons for any company to make PC games at this point in time:

MMOS: See: world of warcraft, SWTOR, etc. These cannot be made on a console (well they kinda did with like PSO and such back on the PS2, but i wouldnt say its hugely popular), and create a massive amount of revenue due to long playing times of customers and huge monthly fees. These games are also extremely accessible and thus anyone can pick them up and get hooked.

RTS games: Dota, SC2, all other rts titles
This is basically where the hardcore gaming community is hanging on, in my eyes. The majority of competitive gaming play is through RTS games. Dota1 and now Dota2 has a massive player base of almost purely competitive players. SC2 as did SC1 has an incredible global competitive presence (ESPECIALLY IN KOREA). You also cannot play RTS games on a console unless its some shitty port like Halo Wars. As long as there are competitive PC gamers, this genre will still live on.

Finally you have the FPS genre. This is where the majority of users that aren't strictly competitive fall into. This covers games such as the ones we play: arma, BF series, etc. This is a massive grey area especially in developers minds. The entire market is pushing FPS now as a casual genre(see: CoD), and thus it's very hard to get a budget for a serious FPS title that isnt affected by producer's ideas (SEE: BF3). Games such as BF2 and ARMA live on through the fact that PCs let you mod the shit out of games, and this is perhaps the only reason such games can even exist. The age of competitive FPS is over, it died with quake3 and CS. CS:S made a comeback , but even then its still pretty old.

im honestly basing a lot of this on what i've seen from Blizzard over the last few years. I'm sure you all know that Blizzard is an insanely good and popular developer that put out many quality titles back in the 2000s or so, and those games all fit what im trying to say here. THey had loads of good, quality RTS games (SC, WC series), and made one of the most successful online RPGs ever with diablo 1 and 2. It's games like these that EVERYONE remembers playing. This is where my appreciation for blizzard is starting to come back. Honestly, when they came out with WoW, i thought it was cool that they madesuch a ridiculously high budget MMO that was based completely on warcraft lore, which was also very interesting and allowed for a unique spin compared to games such as everquest with the 'typical' rpg setting. They completely lost my approval as they started added these pointless expansions and reworking systems to make the game easier and more accesssible.

Screw WoW, however. Blizzard recently made Starcraft 2, a sequel after over a decade since the original. After the current status of WoW, many people were sceptical about how SC2 would release, thinking it would not live up to the epic status of the original. well they were wrong, they came out with an amazing title that resembled Starcraft 1 in all its glory. I mean i played this game for months, and it was just so well done. Blizzard KNEW that they had to make a perfect game with the same competitive level as the first, and that they did.

Then you have the upcoming Diablo3. I mean who the hell doesnt remember diablo 2 (and even one, honestly i was pretty young for that one)? so we were watching the development of it at the very beginning, and there was very limted info and it looked like it would never release. It also was starting to look dumbed down and honestly was looking like someone crossed WoW with diablo2. Well now the game has an official release and all of the blanks are filled in, and it looks like its going to be an epic remake of such a prized game.

it's companies like blizzard, and other smaller ones like bohemia interactive, THQ and its RTS lines like COH and WH40k, modding companies like BSS that made PR, and others, that are keeping the PC community alive. Apart from companies like this, you really just can't trust ANYONE with making a solid title.

So I used blizzard as an example of a company who was making groundbreaking titles from the start, and now is trying to bring those games back in their full form for the PC community to enjoy. An example of a company who tried to do this and FUCKED UP/SOLD OUT is none other than fucking BIOWARE. Yes Bioware makes me extremely angry. i'm not saying that mass effect and dragon age arent fun games or anything, but jesus christ could they have sold out/ console ported a little harder? They made these massive, epic games in the past such as the widely popular baldur's gate series, with deep RPG elements and massive worlds to explore, and then they come into the new millenium making these linear console ports? its a fucking joke. They just sold out to EA and now are making these games just to turn profits and shit. It just makes me really, really sad that companies do this, and honestly its the fucking FANBASE that allows them to continue it.

As long as people are going to keep buying consoles and buying/playing these shitty console adapations, they're going to keep making them. thats what people dont seem to understand. Here in america, even if a developer has intentions to do good, its still undermined by the fact that they are a business, and the goal is to make money. Id say the only reason blizzard can afford to make these quality exclusives is because they have billions of dollars from WoW to work with. other smaller companies have an incredibly hard time making quality games, without resulting to porting them to consoles to make their money back.

and dont get me FUCKING STARTED ON BF3

I keep saying this but we need to come together and make a mod of PR. Just to get our feet wet and explore the possibilities. Maybe we could build it using the A2 engine since it's so open. It's my dream to keep the pc gaming idustry alive! It's up to us to keep it going, to keep the presence out there and to try to offer the content pc gamers want. There is a huge community of pc gamers out there but we are getting squeezed out by freaking consoles so don't let it happen! Rolling over and sticking your ass in the air isn't the solution. Even if they never make another pc game, there are enough out there now that we could be in pc heaven for many years to come. There are many older pc games out there that could be modded back into popularity and some of those people would come back. Just think of the games we have to work with. What if we could mod Rogue Spear into modern day? Or develop something in 2142, or even just start with PR Coop. Eventually that is the direction I would like to see us go. Remastering old pc games into modern day would be an epic way to start. Don't throw in the towel yet.

I think we should bust out into modding and even hopefully, full game development. I've seen some footage of what PR would look like on the BF2142 engine...and it was amazing, actual, visual bullet drop and leading/reverse leading targets, I'd actually love to see a PR like mod for 2142, no one really plays it, we could be the ones that bring it back into the light

He replied, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" John 9:25
It has already begun.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401686,00.asp

Chloe Albanesius
March 16, 2012 11:57am EST

Some of the nation's top Internet service providers are on track to kick off the "Copyright Alert System," which will provide notices to consumers if their ISP suspects there is illegal downloading going on, but an exact date for launch will be up to the ISPs involved.
Many ISPs already provide warnings to users if sketchy behavior is detected, but the Copyright Alert System - announced in July 2011 - is intended to provide a standardized approach that all ISPs will use. Going forward, users will get a notice if they are suspected of illegal downloading. If they ignore that message, the ISP might resort to pop-ups or redirecting to special websites that display the alert. If those too are ignored, the ISP will turn to "mitigation measures," which could include throttling or permanent re-direction to a warning landing page until contact is established.
The system made news again this week after Cary Sherman, CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America, appeared on a panel in New York, resulting in a news story from CNET that the system would be implemented by July 12.
An RIAA spokesman today clarified that Sherman said implementation of the alert system by participating IPSs would likely begin by the "end of the second quarter," but emphasized that the timing and particular mechanics are questions each individual ISP will handle.
Participating ISPs include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon. The effort also has the support of the RIAA and the Motion Picture Association of America, as well as small and independent studios and labels.
Back in July, the alliance insisted that account termination is not part of the alert system, but "section 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act requires that the ISPs have in place a termination policy for repeat copyright infringers as a condition of availing themselves of the Act's 'safe harbor' provision," the group said. "This is why subscribers have a right to know if it has been alleged that content theft is taking place on their accounts, and a right to respond."
ISPs will be made aware of the illegal downloading via "a notice from a copyright holder or its representative," the group said.

After reading the article I want you to imagine that you are the ISP and how would you determine who on your network was downloading or uploading copyrighted material. You would have to not only monitor the traffic IP addresses but you would actually have to SNIFF the packets or in some way verify what the traffic actually was.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

@ Iffn
All I can say is do your own research and develop your own conclusion. In my opinion this calculated move has been in the works for the last 6-7 years. It is only going to get worse.
-Name the last PC developed FPS other than Arma. As far as I know it is the first Crysis which was released in 2007.
-You are right. Games are being made for the PC such as Tribes Ascend but these are extremely limited versions designed to run in web browsers or otherwise on a bare bones everday PC. Nothing super special or innovating has been released.
-Piracy is out of control because any noob can steal now. Same with cheats and other BS that was usually too technical.

@Semler
-Micro transactions have already begun. Look at ME3 and Capcom. Day 0 DLC's and planned DLC's that are already on the install disk. Capcom's DLC's (that are on the disk already) have to be purchased and unlocked. When it is all said and done you would have shelled out over $120 for extra skins and characters.
-Bandwidth caps and throttling have already begun. AT&T and Verizon have already announced download caps from a few GB's to about 50 GB's per month. A DVD is 3-5 GB's. For all you who stream video or store info on the cloud (Steam/Origin) pay attention to your bills this year.

@Terremer
They are all sellouts and only independents will be making true PC games, but these are few and far between. EA is gobbling up companies in order to get rights to their excellent titles such as Bioware for ME3 and the StarWars The Old Republic series (KOTOR). Game companies are shifting to the DLC and the subscription model because the fools will pay for it. Look at MW3 Elite and it's subscription service. The only way to stop this is not to complain but to vote with your wallet.

@Blud
The PC is dead as we have known it. No more tower cases with it's guts brimming with CPU and GPU power. In the next decade you will see these become the niche for the developer and power user. The mainstream will be PC's based on laptops, tablets, and smartphones. If you want to develop applications then this is where you should focus. Believe me I have already looked into it. But be aware that you are not going to get rich by any standard. The most sold app on Android hasn't broken 250,000 units. Most average in the few to 15k unit range. Personally I'd focus on Apps for the iPad and then the Android. It is expected that handheld PC's will reach 15 billion units in the next 5 years. I looked at the software languages and it is definitely over my head. But I believe that if you focus on backbone or root apps the facilitate other apps then that is where the money is. Like the guy who developed software so that the ads during televised sporting events can be overlayed on top of cars, fences and such. That mofo is rolling in the dough. I recommend you look into using HTML 5 for the site.

It really comes down to buyers remorse and a sense of personal betrayal to my expensive hobby. I spent several thousand dollars for this six-core, dual SLI super rig for a game that I thoguth was gonna be the super be all PC game of the year. It turned out only be a poorly ported game designed for a console machine. A console machine designed decade ago (released in 2005) running a POWER PC cpu and 256mbs of onboard video. A cheap console that any joe blow can get at Walmart for $200. I spend $2400 a year for two internet connections (landline/mobile). Add in the games and DLC's and that money makes for one hell of a vacation or a shit load of hookers and beer.

I am eligable to retire in less than 10 years and I need to find my island paradise. I always thought this paradise would include my own personal server farm but it is not to be. Maybe I'll become a campground host and nag the weekend city folk in their Walmart tents. We shall see.

Guest airbornealways
Being of the same generation as PITN, I can see his point about the direction that things are taking. But I also realized back when I went from my TI 99/4A to an Apple IIe that the games where not there. Looking back over the last 20 years, the games have almost all been geared towards the consoles. Yes for a time PC gaming was where everyone was going.

Do I see PC gaming totally dieing out? No, cause the communities will keep them alive. But it will only be the games the community was allowed to start modifying from release date. Games Like ARMA, Flight Sims and I am sure others can name a few more.

I look a PC Gaming the same way I look at Linux, Microsoft might be the big boy when it comes to OS. But cause the community took on the challenge, Linux is alive and well with all kinds of distros out there.

I had satellite internet for a while as I lived to far out for DSL or cable. Caps on your internet are no fun when the slow you to the point that dial-up is faster.

But when it comes down to it, we all have to make a choice. To us at that moment in time it seems like the best choice but to others it does not. It is not until we have the benefit of hind sight will be truly know was it a good or bad choice.

Agree with a lot of what you said and the main cause for all of it is: Profit.
I'm sure things like piracy, cheating etc are all factors, but from I hear it is a lot easier and cheaper to design a game for a console and then make it work on a PC, then vice-versa. Consoles have a lot more limitations than PC so designing the game with these in mind from the start is the most profitable option.
Add to this the fact that console gaming is the emerging market, with players that desire simple games that require little thought and lots of instant gratification and it's clear why PC gamers are being shafted.
I mean, why go to all the effort and expense of making an ultra-realistic, thinking man's game like ARMA3, knowing from the start that your profits are limited by being PC only, when you could just churn out a CoD clone, for half the time and expense, and profit from all 3 major platforms.
As for the example you give of a title being released first in the US and then pirated in Europe. This is one situation where I can't blame the people for pirating. In today's world it is completely ridiculous to not have global release dates. I would argue that most of the people in the EU who pirated that game would have quite happily purchased it had it been available, but if companies continue to make games and such inaccessible then people will find another way.
Even the couple day delay between US and EU for standard game releases is stupid nowadays. It's crazy that I can purchase a game on Steam the same day as someone in the US, but have to wait an additional 2-3 days to play it.

As for all the additional filtering and costs that are being brought onto the internet for various content, that is one of the main reasons why pirating will only increase. The more companies try to squeeze every possible penny out of the internet, the more people are going to turn away and find other ways of getting that content.
Personally the only things I tend to download are TV shows for the reason mentioned above, stupid delays between the US and UK. I can either download a show the day after it airs in the US, or wait 3-4 months+ for it to be aired in the UK. I pay a Sky TV subscription so as far as I'm concerned I have already paid for that content and if they are unwilling to allow me to watch it when it is originally aired then I will find another way to watch it.

I can honestly imagine PC gaming being re-booted sometime in the future. As the big companies like EA continue to focus consoles and churning out crap that will please the lowest common denominator PC gaming will decline until it reaches a point where the companies like EA will stop bothering to release games on the PC at all and focus entirely on consoles.
This void can then be filled by upcoming indie developers that care more about the game than the profit and the absence of any real competition will catapult them into the limelight and they'll become the new PC exclusive developers.
You can already see things like that happening with games like minecraft and other indie games that are supported by Valve through steam and such that appear out of nowhere.

PITN said:
-Name the last PC developed FPS other than Arma.

How about Natural Selection 2, currently in beta? A brilliant FPS/RTS hybrid in an alien infested space station by the developers of the Natural Selection mod for Half Life 1. It looks amazing, has an awesome gameplay, features 2 complex, interesting and very different factions and comes with modding tools which allow you to build your own game.
I Bought it yesterday, played a round with Outlanders and one online and it's absolutely awesome! (Gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPywj1TODo )

Tribes Ascend was already mentioned and Red Orchestra is a WW2 FPS

Appart from those 3, only Wolfenstein, Portal 2, CS:GO, Brink, Section 8: Prejudice and Borderlands come to my mind which are also released on console...

PC games aren't as populair as they were but that's a good thing since PC games don't get dumbed down to the casual n00b-level as seen in console games at the moment.

None of you guys know me but I'm an old guy from an old CoD2 clan and we've all had similar problems since PC gamers were re-prioritized by Activision a few years ago. A lot of the old farts in my clan just went away - I have adjusted my gaming instead. I stopped playing big budget mainstream shooters and found love in the F2P world.

I have started a Steam group - it's called Free 2 Play Fridays. The plan is to meet up every other Friday and play a different F2P game. Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Super Monday Night Combat, Blacklight Retribution, Firefall, Planetside 2, Dota 2, and possibly Counter-Strike:GO will all be on the menu if the group doesn't die before getting started.

Fee free to join and tell your friends. You never know. Something fun could happen.