Sign in to follow this  
=VG= BLuDKLoT

[poll] Opinions on this theme?

Guest ColdNfreeziN =VG=
honestly, since people are voting and not saying anything...I just think our setup is so broken at this point anything is better, and I dont mean that as an insult to the WebDev's. I know the struggles, but I know you guys are working on it...well last i heard anyways.

Well I look at it and think "that dosnt feel like VG" but it dosnt have our logo, im sure if the top bannerlogo was replaced with our yellow and white it would feel more like home, so long as it functions well, and like Cold said something that is not broken. Outlander said less black/grey, and I agree, perhaps all we need to do is keep the colours dark blue and the bits of orange/yellow text and it will feel more like VG.

Looks cool so far! Maybe less logos/pictures left and right. it seems a bit restless. keep it simple and compact. I like gray. it is neutral, not pushy and the pictures and writing (readability) stand out well. Our dark blue would work too.

I?m with Speirs. I like it clean and simple. However the blue you have now is nice. But...gray stands out as cleen and it holds it together. I kinda miss the "global activity" here on VG.

A new theme isn't going to fix the site. The core is fundamentally broken.

We need a new website system. All a new theme is going to do is change the look of a still broken website system.

Unfortunately web design and development is out of the scope of my skill set. Managing, designing and implementing the infrastructure to host a website/application is different skill set to managing, designing and implementing a website. Unfortunately no one is able to do the latter.

I was just using that theme as a test for what kind of sty;e people like. I'm still thinking joomla with jomsocial, kunena forum and the gamerlife theme. If somone could port our site to joomla, I could do the rest.

I develop larger scale webapps at work, but we use a java server and some heavy javascript frameworks for the front end. I don't know what all would carry over to help with this, but I can try to lend a hand if needed.

I think we should just move to vbulletin and use that as a framework. The most used/relied on part of VG is the forum, second is the chat box. It makes sense to invest in a really good forum system and develop a site around that, rather than trying to find a website system and try to integrate or build a forum into it.

vBulletin is a fully featured CMS now, all we need is a VG theme and a chat box and we're good to go.

Drawback is that its pricey, perhaps we could save donations or run an event to try to generate money to buy a license?

I'm sure reality mod uses vBulletin if you wanted proof of concept.

Thats my personal thoughts on the subject.

I think I like yours better. I've been fucking with it and I like the ease of use. Can we make it look more like a website tho?

http://a9412.try.invisionpower.com

Yes, we can make it look more like a website. There will probably be a learning curve to do so, but we will have support via tickets and the forums. Support won't help us design a site... But they will point us In the right direction.

All we need are people to do graphics and see if we can muster up our own theme. I think we'd be looking to buy the ip board license with the ip content license. If you go to their site and look at their apps you'll see what each one does.

There will be a learning curve at first, but at least we know we'll be on a stable, secure commercially backed web and forum system.

Perfect, cheers dude.

Looking forward to the new VG, hopefully we can get this up live within the next few months.

I'm not sure how you feel about trying to run a 'raise money event' to try and get the money for a license. I think we need 240$ so if 24 people donate 10$ then we'll be there! I know I can spare 10 or 20 for the cause :)

Perhaps a separate donation bit so they don't get mixed with regular donations?