Sign in to follow this  
suomikeizari

lets review our introductions!

so the idea is for you to quote your introductions and see what they looked like years ago :) here's mine, oh god i was young...

Remember to post the year as well!

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

ok hi guys! my real name is Kastor, im a 16 year ''kid''(dont call me that :D) from around Finland, ive been playing RTS like 2 years + im really interested in strategy games like Total war series, Hearts of Iron series and alot more series! heh..
teamwork is everything for me, cant live without it.
not yet through military but that'll be soon, and aaaaa yeah! old school sucks, and new school rocks!
any questions?

- Sunday March 20 2011, 05:29AM

PS. New school still rocks :)

Fatal error: Call to a member function toHTML() on a non-object in /home/veterans/public_html/vg-handlers/shortcode_handler.php(173) : eval()'d code on line 15

Wow I was a loser back then too !lolol

well....as it turns out, i?ve never made an introduction thread, my first ever post was an unban request....that Semler wants to keep as an example...dear god this is embarrassing !dash

Btw, Great idea Castor:D

Castor =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

how about do it now? never too late lads ;)

@Savage, I see. you deleted it yourself didn't you? sneaky bastard.. !yes

I don't remember deleting it but maybe :)

It probably went something like this:

Hi I'm Savage I play a lot on your Forgotten Hope server with Hans and Jarema. I like butsects and gay parades and eggs and long walks on the beach.

Join teamspeak.

Me: Hi

Blud: fuck yourself for 10 seconds.

Me: when and where.

I didn't join when we had a website. Just always played with the same 6 guys. Blud, Solar, Ingo, iffn, vixen, badploy.

This thread makes me smile.

I sometimes run into members that ask if I'm new. I don't post very often and sometimes I disappear and come back and no one recognises me. I've become more recognizable lately as I've been around a lot in the last year but I think there are still some people that don't actually know who I am or what I do.

I've never posted an intro thread and we'll get into why in a minute, but I'm going to quickly post here what it actually is I do.

My names Mark, gamertag SolarFlame1, and for as long as I can remember I've been the System Administrator at VG. That role has evolved over the years, especially due to the formation of a somewhat leadership/tech team.

In the past Bludklot called the shots, made the day to day decisions for the community and I was there to assist in all things technical. Blud ran and maintained the community whilst I ran and maintained the technical aspects and backend and it worked very well for a long time. As the community grew and our lives became busier it became increasingly difficult to constantly be around to deal with issues as they arose. Luckily several members joined over the last year which formed a "Tech Team", of sorts.

As the community has continued still to grow, the Team's role shifted from purely assisting with Tech related issues to generally being involved with the day to day running of the community. We frequently meet with blud, talk about any issues and propose new ideas. Especially since bluds life has become extremely hectic lately, we generally make the day to day decisions for the community, take requests for servers, mods to run or custom user made missions to be played that are frequently used in events.

This allows for two things;

1. The current active admin team can deal with minor or large issues without demanding blud be online at the specified time. The allows VG to continue to run smoothly and allows for issues to solved quickly and generally keeps everybody happy.
2. Give blud a life outside constantly sitting in a channel with queues of people waiting to talk to him. Which means more playtime for him and less time spent taking on requests.

The current setup I believe is the reason VG is doing as well as it is. Different members in the team contribute something different to VG.

I still consider my role at VG as a System Administrator. Most isses related to the technical backend of VG generally have my attention and I'm usually heavily involved in them, be it security, performance, or general operating system maintenance such as installation of new software (like tcadmin) or updates to the OS its self. I do this across all of our servers we have which is why I consider myself just a general System Administrator. This also includes anything database related.. I've also been known to develop some kind of "solution" to get achieve some sort of task, like the DayZ/MSO leaderboards or the DayZ backup and restore system.

I'm not an ArmA expert, I never choose which mission to use. I never change the command line start up options. I never install or update mods. I don't get involved with what maps are run on which bf2 servers and in which order. I just work to make the stuff that does not work, work. And when that's working I move onto the next thing in the list that needs to work, and I make that work too. Rinse and repeat. Savage has a similar role with the System Admin stuff in regard to the windows server. Poff is definitely our hardware (amongst other things) expert. Semler is also definitely one of the ArmA experts and is responsible for the development for the TrackIR shooting contest.

This post could go on so much longer as theres so much that Poff, Savage, Semler, myself, do. This hasn't even included the efforts of bludklot himself, hidden talents such as PITN, Castor, any other members responsible for creating and editing missions and then the donaters of course.

I'm going to cut it off rather abruptly here and for those who are interested - this might answer some questions as to why I'd never written an intro thread. Below is the registered members list, sorted by registered date. Keep in mind the VETERANS-GAMING account is automatically created by our web software. You'll also spot some of our old but still very much active original members!

http://veterans-gaming.com/vg-plugins/another_profiles/newuser.php?usrname=&realname=&loginname=&email=&groupname=&mutat=30&direction=user_join&sorrend=ASC&szures=all&adv_spage=&sort=0.30

First, thanks Castor, good and funny idea !
I didn?t do it myselfe either, but Savage did for me and some things are a kind of funny...

Savage:Ok guys possible new member here - Sgt. Morrison has been around with VG for years now playing FH2 originally and moving into CoH and PR more recently. He's a great guy and has done some good things for VG lately including some custom logo work and other graphics stuff.

Excellent team player and the closest thing to a Texan of any German player I've met

Semler: Isn't Sgt. Morrison the American with the Southern accent who lives in Europe somewhere?

Jarema: He has been a battle buddy for a long time so I decided to clear my cache and vote a couple times. I think that is legal unless you have to live in Philly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QNZ2z2Cr4o&feature=related

Pvt. Pirate LAN_WROTE ...

Hi, I'm a 24years old guy living in Germany.
I have played "Vietcong - Fist Alpha" and "Hidden & Dangerous 2"for several years now with my community in a special way of teamplay on COOP.
I'd love to share that spirit of teamplay with you on "Battlefield 2 - Project Reality".

about my military carreer:
I was invalided out in the medical examination for i was in therapy at that time for depression.
I got a small amount of basic military education in a group of friends who (as a hobby) made up a paramilitary company called "666th airborne".
this mostly included some drill, theory and some night strolls though the woods with BBguns and other equipment.
I'll upload a few pictures later :)

hmmm maybe i was a little bit naive back then :D but all of it is true.
now i'm 27 and not much has changed, except that we now play ARMA2, DayZ and Minecraft :D