Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Discord Server

=VG= BrakeGamer

Hello Everybody, first of all let me explain what Discord is: It's like TeamsSpeak, with channels,but the chat is way different, allowing You to talk to anybody in the server, it also has a hassle free in game Display with no 3-rd party software, also it's a backup if =VG= TS goes down, and its Free! If You want You can help me beta test it at this link here: https://discord.gg/011M2bwROrFMRapxs

It has the same channel setup as the TS server with a few missing for organization, and also its =VG= aproved

And forgot to meniton You can connect from Your browser if You dont want to download the app itself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my doubts about using Discord for a community like this but why not give it a try. I use the program on allot of other networks (mainly wikia) so it will be interesting on how it will work out here.

I don't know if it is possible with the forum program we use now but you can link Discord with the forum for various purposes such as PM, Who's Online and many other features.

See you on Discord.

Only 3 reasons why Discord may not be the best option for an online gaming community such as VG: Plugin Integration, Brand Recognition, and Stability. Not to mention security, something we have direct control over in TS3 and can hand out varying levels of moderation to users/admins.

@semler
Well you also have to see with the integration possibilities of the website. I used Discord with Xenforo and it works great together. It copied the ranks from the website over to the ranks on discord

The Stability is good but its still a new program so it has its problems.

You can have multiple access levels. It can even be linked to the forum ranks but that depends if DIscord likes to talk with this forum software. (seeing the website is not working properly I doubt it works) of course the ranks can be done manually.

I personally think Discord is better then TS3 due to having more functionality's but I think the main problem will be making the switch (if there would be one). We have a working TS3 system now so I understand that people do not wish to change something that works since they are familiar with it. But if you do not go with the time you will get stuck in the past.

What plugins You need to integrate anyways, maybe I coud work something out, about the security: its secure enough esspecially being a new software on the market it is going to stay safe for some time since it takes time to crack it, and not to mention the security getting better every update. User Groups and Administration is more focused on the individual since You can assign someone a group or just give them some permissions whitout anybody thats a guest seeing it, so You can stealth admin things, and channels can be locked to specific pepole and server groups so there is no need for passwords

Edit: 1 thing I like more about Teamspeak is the channel customization and the organization eg. Subchannels

Edit 2: Discord has a better worked out Friend System

BrakeGamer LAN_WROTE ...

What plugins You need to integrate anyways

ACRE? And perhaps Overwolf (an overlay program to see who's talking)? but mainly ACRE. BMS/IVC wouldn't be affected as it's a stand alone comms system with TS3 built into it, but ACRE is TS3 dependent.

It should not be ignored but its better to have more technical information what can done with Discord and what not.
Knockin the door and lets change a working system without detailed possibilities for the future ( VG Homepage etc), pro and cons.

Maybe there is now or in the future more options but who say's we using all of it.

Lets try what? Using Discord for communication?
For me, WebDesigner FullNoob, would be interresting, if our maybe one day new HP goes up and what Discord can do for it to make it easier or better.

How you will bring many people to install a new comm software if they already have TS3 (because of most common gaming Commsoftware).
You must also think about, what is with new guys? or people who sign up at VG in the future? What if 95% have already ts installed? Will they do also the jump?

Because TS3 is an established comms system used by many gamers (new and old) it will remain as the key VOIP hub of VG for some time.

Just because VG won't be switching our comms system over to Discord doesn't mean that it's not worth checking out and testing. I'm not one to jump onto new things for the sake of new, and I'm not one to fix what isn't broke... but it is cool to try new things once in awhile.

If it becomes an accepted thing such as TS3 with plenty of support and stability, VG might get on that bandwagon - but for consistency and ease of access, it is true that VG will be sticking with TS3 for the foreseeable future.