Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

VOID Virtual Reality Centers - Some day soon

=VG= SemlerPDX

These guys at VOID are trying to make VR centers, buildings with rooms padded in generic foam forms that get overlaid with VR environments through the headset (like a portable Oculus Rift).

When I was a teenager, we had LaserTag centers - is this what the next generation gets? LaserTag was so big, you had home sets you could buy, and buy addon packs for more friends, turning your house into the warzone, instead of the LaserTag Center's blacklight arena that you had to pay money to enter.

So, how long after this comes out before we have home sets that use cameras and lasers to map our halls and then paint them with a video game overlay in our home VR headsets, running through our own hallways fragging friends in VR?
Only a matter of time... until then, these VOID guys will fill the void with VR Centers (they say it could be 10 players with no lag).

No idea on how much they'll charge, when they will be finished with development, or what major cities they'll open it in - but this sneak peek video is set to go viral; near 2 million views in a week. The sweetest peek has to be the vehicle chair - looks like the player was strapped in and getting tossed around as he moved his flight stick. Sick shit!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks pretty incredible. The 4d environmental effects and that vehicle chair were my favorite parts.

I remember trying a virtual bobsled type thing probably 10 years ago now, although not a virtual reality gaming experience it was a similar idea to the vehicle chair. It was the same width and height as a shipping container but half as long, it sat on a platform and had the ability to lean right, left, forwards or backwards and had a screen up front and surround sound. As the hill sections got steeper the back would rise and it would lean in corners etc, the sensation of being jolted around and having that screen so close were very immersive.

Keen to see what they could do with this VOID thing with all the new tech and more interesting game play ideas, although probably won't see anything like this here in Aus for quite a while :(.

Here's an actual user review from a person who went through the VOID (buried in the comment section of that vid on YT):

Amethyst Gaming wrote ...

"I was able to try it as well because my friend is involved with the graphics/art side of things, so it wouldn't surprise me if other developers were able to get their friends in."

"I only got to do one playthrough and it was somewhat early on, but it really was amazing. I put the headset and backpack on (they had gaming laptops and an oculus for testing at this point) and turned around. Suddenly, there was a gun floating in front of me. My friend told me to pick the gun up, so I reached out and picked up a prop gun that was the same model that I was seeing, including a functioning trigger. I walked down a short corridor and there was a glass tank with a monster thing inside. The tank broke and smoke billowed out (in game, no special effect smoke that I could tell), blocking my vision. When the smoke cleared, my friend told me to look up. What I saw above me was a ceiling probably 100 feet high (the room we were in was ~30-40 feet high), with a ledge along one wall. The monster had scaled the wall and was peering over the edge. I looked down sights, pulled the trigger, and killed it after a few volleys. Next, I left through a sliding door, and went down a short corridor. I turned left and stepped out onto the balcony. The air felt cold, and I could feel a light breeze blowing. I could see miles out, an entire landscape blooming in front of me with a sheer cliff thousands of feet deep just below me. I turned around and there were spiders crawling all over in the corridor, so I spray'n'prayed and killed them all. I went through the next door and entered a claustrophobic utility room. There were spider webs hanging from the ceiling that brushed against my arms as I walked past. I exited through the opposite door, and was told to take off the headset. I did, and I was in the same room I started in. Overall a very realistic feeling experience, my favorite part was being able to literally reach the gun around a corner to fire.

PROS:
Very realistic experience.
The graphics were awesome.
The special effects were present and noticeable, but not overdone.

CONS:
I think it was just me, but the image seemed a bit blurry. I've never used a virtual reality headset before, so I'm not sure my brain knew where to focus, especially with so many new things happening at once.
I couldn't see my body.
I stepped off the cliff

SUMMARY:
Overall an amazing experience that I would happily pay for as a finished product. This was a pretty early playthrough and was more of a tech demo than an actual game, but it was enjoyable with the little content it had. My friend said they were working on full body tracking so you could see where you're standing and where your arms are, and they're planning on doing larger, more storyline-based levels for the release. I think that both of the aforementioned would vastly improve the experience. The demo I played gets a solid 8/10, even with the minor bugs and missing features."